Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Yet *another* cause of the Accel/SP2 menu access crash...

Well I've been running CTD free for quite awhile since disabling C1E and Speedstep, which I mentioned in a previous post. But it came back when I tried something during some video recording. And no, it wasn't fraps causing it.If you're still getting menu CTDs and you use an LCD monitor, maybe check in your nvidia control panel for the "Change Flat Panel Scaling" setting. I normally leave it on 'do not scale' or 'use my display's built-in scaling'.For kicks I tried changing it to 'use nvidia scaling' because I generally record in a lower resolution than native (1920x1200) and was trying to fix the stretching, and boom, CTDs all over again when accessing menus. I changed it back to 'use display's built-in scaling' and no more crashes. Turning off display scaling entirely would have the same effect if you run FSX at the same resolution as your desktop.Odd!Anyway, worth taking a look at. At this point I'm pretty sure you can crash the driver with SP2/Accel just by looking at it funny. ;)Good luck,-mike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I un-installed SP2 and no CTDs since.It does not look like this issue will ever be fixed, so I'll be flying without SP2 until ...........Richard

ywp me to straight after i installed and tried running a flight CTD uninstalled and wala all is good not a CTD since.guess we'll just have to wait 'till SP3Richy

Well even though I've defeated the issue on my system I'm just trying to help find solutions for those who do still have to deal with it. There isn't going to be an SP3, so depending on how you use the sim, your solution of just saying 'no' to sp2 isn't going to be an option much longer. Given the rate at which new addons are requiring SP2 it's going to be a must have soon, not to mention if you're into multiplayer (it's the only way I fly) then options for sp1 sessions will become progressively more limited over time. The two service packs are not compatible in multi.The only surefire cure at the moment, if none of the discovered causes/fixes apply to you, is to buy an ATI card I guess.

>Well even though I've defeated the issue on my system I'm>just trying to help find solutions for those who do still have>to deal with it. Due to the lack of interest by both Microsoft and Nvidia to rectify this issue, I've given up with MS Flight Simulator completely and moved on. More time is wasted trying to tweak and keep the game stable than actually flying.However, I for one appreciate folks like yourself who keep coming back to these issues to help others, even though you're happy with the operation of your own setup. I sincerely hope you, or someone as equally benevolent as yourself finds the answer to this problem eventually.Good luck,Vox

darn no sp3. well ive pretty much just upgraded my system and yes you are right the pmdg 747 required sp1 so the future products may requir sp2. im running xp and if somebody has any ide how i can defeat this problem with xp and my system (writen below) then i will be veeeery annoyed when the future addons require sp2.ThanksRichy

Richy, did you try my other fixes?... about 5 threads down from this one.

ah there we go thanks ill give it a go when im back from New YorkcheersRichy

I've had a deluxe copy of FSX for over a year and occasionally have used it without problems. I recently decided to get serious about it and do the updates, tune up my X52, etc. and found after installing SP2 (and I think a patch to SP2?) my screen would freeze up when I went to the menu. Naturally I thought I was the only one to ever have such a problem. Good ole' Avsim, there's all kinds of postings about it. Before I tuned in however, I updated the driver for my 7600GT and that didn't help. I did a "repair" reinstall of FSX, and that didn't help. I finally uninstalled SP2 and it runs fine again. I've got a Pentium D 2.8 with 3MB of memory and a nVidia 7600GT. I mainly use it for instrument flying and it is very smooth. Occasional jerk.This X52 is more than I need for what I'm doing. I'm thinking of buying the AV8R Saitek joystick and selling the X52 if I like the AV8R better. Anyone tried both? Mike