Sign in to follow this  
Guest drmweaver2

Osaka-Kansai area problem

Somehow or other the water texture is not being rendered on my computer for just this area - that is, around Kansai Airport, Osaka Bay. Specifically, from about 100 meters seaward from Kansai all the way to the shoreline and in a swah slightly wider than the airport itself, my "water" in Osaka Bay looks like dirt/mud. Other parts of the bay look fine. I dont remember exactly when this started, but it's driving me crazy.I've already uninstalled the airport scenery upgrade that I had installed but that didn't clear up the problem - the water texture is not being rendered. Can anyone tell me the original bgl for this specific area? If so, I'll copy that back to the installation and hopefully clear up my problem. If I can't find the solution, I'm going to have to do a reinstall as I hate flying over dirt/mud-colored water that looks solid.(If there's a listing somewhere of which bgl relates to which geolocation, that would be a big help.)Thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can offer.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That is interesting. AFAIK, my files for the area are default, and I see what appears to be a bug in the default data. If that's right I'm surprised it hasn't been found before, or at least I don't recall anything on this.the default files that seem to be in question are sceneryasiasceneryHP984190.bgl and HL984190.bgl. I don't have "dirt/mud" but I do have a chunk of shoreline so I looked at the area in LWMViewer2 (always the best thing to do in these types of investigation). Here is what I see:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159126.jpgDoes this "right triangle with N-S coastline" look like what you see?scott s..

First, thanks for telling me which files to try to find/copy. I'll get to that tonight.No, I wasn't speaking of that triangle-bug.Here's what I currently see --- http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/159135.jpgYour own overhead pic suggests that my bgl's have definitely been corrupted here.

Update.. Copying those two files over made no discernible difference except to make that triangular area flaw/bug more noticeable to me.Any other thoughts or suggestions?

yes,you are missing the landclass texture files.now,copy the textures from the texture folder of that sceneryto the main fs texture folder,but say NO to questions as toreplace certain textures.it will copy the right textures into the main fs folder.i suspect your landclass.bgl has been stored somewhere else,are you using flightsim manager by chance?see here,for my problem.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchcheersJP.

Interesting.. that is the EXACT area of my problem. Did you solve yours? Did you determine what addon caused it?I have "temporarily solved" mine - made a second installation on a different harddrive and renamed the first installation so that it doesn't get overwritten. In comparing the two, I still haven't identified (so far, at least)what I did/loaded as an addon that has screwed the first installation up.My intention is to do so and then repair the firs installation as I have too much time invested to wipe it out if I don't have to. Then I'll delete the second installation.BTW, I use FSM 2.8.5 and have never figured out exactly how the landclass diagnostic/repair part works. I have repaired simple scenery errors with it before, however. LC errors haven't been reported as far as I can tell - I just do the scan and then say Fix It no matter what (yeah, I know, I'm a dunce).Anyway, at least someone else has seen my exact problem and thought along the same lines as I am now. Makes me feel better.Thanks for the help.

i haven't solved it,but i think that it is FSM that is responsible.i think on repairing landclass issues it dumps certain .bgl'sinto a folder called FSMLandclass in your main fs9 folder,and thus removes the texturing instructions for fs9.i'm still puzzling though,but if i know more,i'll post it here.i have added the fsm folder to fs9 but that only cured my problem atRJGG,probably because i copied the textures to the fs9 main folder.as it is,my scenery is now a mess,so i'm dreading a re-install,really.cheersJP.

>i haven't solved it, >... i'm dreading a >re-install,really.>Yep. I know the feeling. I expect a reinstall will take at least as much time and effort as a repartition and clean install of WinXP and all my other "absolutely required" applications other than FS9.Not looking forward to having to do that... if it comes to that.BTW, I did temporarily solved my problem by copying the entire Osaka area, inclduing landclasses and textures from that temporary/parallel FS9 install I just made on anothe rsection of my hard disk. Of course, that took everything back to default status in the area, so it's not REALLY an improvement. But it did confirm that some addon screwed things up. I just don't know which one.Good luck.

well,back to testing it is,then.i'm slowly trying everything out,and i should eventually find the culprit.if i do,i'll post it here :)it is however curious as to you having it back to default by copying the files from the second install.it did not work for me.oh well,Sherlock may have a strange hat,he did solve it,so off to snoop around once again :)cheersJP.

My second install was a completely default install when I copied the files - completely. Not even a single addon like a new terrain mesh or any scenery.I used that program you/someone mentioned and moved around a bit noting the names of the appropriate bgl's until I had covered the entire bay... copied ALL of those over as well as the ones covering ALL of the bay coastlines. That worked.At this point, due to other problems with my install, I've decided to begin the migration/reinstallation process a bit at a time and to ultimately make the 2nd install my primary one ---- reorganizing the addon sceneries as I go. As with any on-going installation process, I've learned that there are better ways to organize my FS9 and this second install will give me the opporunity to try to get it right this time. Unfortunately, this means runing both installs in parallel until I finish transferring things... I figure it'll take me two weeks at the rate I will transfer/reinstall things. (For instance, aircraft and traffic files should be easy, but ensuring all the sceneries I have are filed and opperating correctly will be the time consumer in the process.)Good luck.

I think that FSM in the area of landclass can be considered "doing good but not avoiding evil". The intent is good, but just allowing FSM to move what it thinks are landclass bgls can lead to trouble.The best for this is LWMViewer2. You can turn on and off individual files until you find the culprit visually. It might not be the best as a texture viewer, but for bgls it is very helpful.scott s..

"The best for this is LWMViewer2. You can turn on and off individual files until you find the culprit visually."Yeah.. this is the program I am now using, though I am not really fammiliar with it. It's supposed to be "intuitive", but apparently I am not. Lol!Anyway, at this point, I've moved on from the problem on installation 1 and am proceeding to build installation 2. I hate giving up, but it's a question of time/cost vs benefits. My time is worth more than figuring th eproblem out when I consider that I can actually take advantage of the situation and do a reinstall the way it should have been done the first time - so that should a similar problem arise, I'll have my sceneeries more organized.Thanks for the help.