Sign in to follow this  
Guest wtsapchy

Scenic Route in FS9

Guest wtsapchy

Hi all,Just wonder if anyone can share some of the best scenic routes they have flown in FS9.DanielVHHH

Exact routes are hard to give you, but, some of my favorite places to fly, are:*Norway*British Columbia*Alaska (Southern to Eastern boundaries of British Columbia)*Switzerland/Austria/Northern Italy Alps*The Blueridge 'Mountain' area of Virginia/West Virginia/North Carolina*The Greater Seattle area is really very nice (Cascades/Olympic Mtns/San Juan Islands)Just some that come quickly to mind. Obviously I like flying in mountainous areas, even trekking between them in my Real Air Scout.

Take off at 65S (Bonners Ferry, Idaho) in something like the Realair Skyhawk. Climb to about 4500' and fly East up the Kootenai River to Troy, MT (57S?). Turn North, still following the river, and fly to Libby, MT (S59). Continue North along the river (which turns into Lake Koocanusa upstream of the Libby Dam) until you reach Eureka, MT (88M?), then leave the river, turn Southeast and fly through the valley to Glacier Park Intl. (KFCA) via Crystal Lakes Resort (81S).65S is my hometown airport so as you can imagine, this is one of my favorite flights, should take about 1 1/2 hrs.I'd recommend installing the FSGenesis freeware mesh for the area first. It's available in the library. Holger Sandman's BC mesh package extends southward into the states far enough to cover this area as well, and is also an excellent package with the advantage of covering the entire Canadian Rockies. Both packages may be used in conjunction with one another.Have a good flight,Jim

Hi Daniel,I could give you scores if you are into scenic VFR. But grab a road atlas, google "scenic roads" or some such, think of places that people vacation...Yellowstone (start at Gardiner and fly up river into the park)Yosemite (start at Mariposa-Yosemite and follow the roads/river up into that park.From Bellingham WA, follow the Skagit river up into North Cascades National park and across the continental divide.Follow the Columbia from the coast to it's sourceFollow I-90 from Seattle to ChicagoFollow I-15 from San Diego to Canada via SaltLakeCityFollow the Missouri River from Three Forks Montana all the way down to St LouieI like exploring the US with FSMMoving Map running(continuously on a second monitor) so I can see what'sin my vicinity: names of towns, highway numbers, namesof lakes, rivers and mountains. Add a good roadmapwith the extra identities of state and national parks, recreation areas, and monuments and I begin to 'feel' like I really know the virtual area I'm flying over. It's especially beautiful since I added Ultimate Terrain:It makes a world of difference; got the screen shots to prove it! BTW, those little icons on a roadmap thatindicate a rest stop.... well, go see for yourself!But I get the most fun out of the challenge of discover-ing and flying through deep, long, and/or very tight canyons. Yes, almost everybody has dropped into theGrand Canyon for a quick look-see. But if you've got38m mesh installed for the western half of the US, thenyou may find some of these locations as interesting andchallenging as I did. No autopilots allowed here!The Little Colorado River chews a pretty good canyoninto the plateau on its way to meet the Colorado on thenorth end of Grand Canyon National Park. Start at TubaCity, AZ (T03) and fly 12 miles southward along hwy 89.The Little Colorado may be represented only as a "creek" when you cross it (N35