Sign in to follow this  
Guest LucasStL

Uneven Water?

Hi folks -I'm sure this issue has been discussed, but I could not for the life of me find a solution. I use:Ultimate TerrainGE Proand FSGlobal 2005 World terrain mesh.However, on almost all bodies of water near land, it seems the mesh is extending out into the water and creating mountains and hills in my lakes/rivers and coastal waters.Is there a fix for this??Thanks!Lucas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wish I had the answer for ya - at least we gave it a bump ;-) Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Well I know I had that problem with Misty Fjords. I found some help in a forum somewhere...I had to run a Batch file and it seemed to clear up the problem. I wish I could help you more :(

Lucas, I just installed GE Pro and am having the same problem along with landclass/land textures totally cover up rivers etc. Have you made any headway on this fix?Thanks

I assume the water is correctly located (not a case of missing data where landclass is missing).The reasons for the uneven water is that FS9 provides two ways to create water bodies: flattened water and "mesh clinging" (follows the existing elevation mesh) water. Flattened water can be level (lake or ocean) or "tilted" (river flowing). Creating properly flattened water is extremely time consuming. At least I don't know of any automated way to do it in FS9 based scenery tools. In the default scenery, the water bodies aren't all that accurate, so the flattening wasn't that hard for MS. But in the Ultimate Terrain, there is so much water that it would probably be close to impossible to flatten it all. Thus it appears that in many locations the UT developers chose to create the water as "mesh clinging". It some places it looks like they used some sort of automated system to create water elevations, with mixed success. This actually works pretty good in most cases. It helps to get the best mesh files you can, since a good mesh will appear to be flat in water areas.The only fix I can suggest is that if there is an area that really bothers you, load the UT scenery into sbuilder sceenry tool and set the elevations to where you think they should be. Note that in areas where there are cliffs going down to the water, it is often a problem that the edge of the water body creeps up the cliff, due to the way that FS9 applies flattens to the mesh.I did a fix for a user who likes to fly around the lower Colorado River in CA/AZ. Actually, in communicating with the UT folks, it looks like that is probably going to be fixed in an upcoming FSX version, and possibly a later FS9 update (if they do one), but in the interim, I did the fix for the user.Note that this is a different problem than another user in this thread, who has landclass terrain extending into the water.scott s..