Sign in to follow this  
gavi25

Help needed, FS9 is running really bad

Hi there, for about 6 months now I have had nothing but problems with FS9 and frame rates. No matter how much I turn down the scenery settings my fps stays at about 6. I didnt have this problem b4 and had big airports like heathrow pro and ultimate traffic, but now my pc has gone downhill.I was wandering if it might be something to do with the amount of different modules that I have as there seems to be alot of them.Can anyone advise me or tell me what modules should definately be there?Kind RegardsGavin Moss

The problem could be too many modules. I know lots of aircraft and addons require a module to function correctly, PMDG, LevelD, Cloud9 and FSNavigator spring to mind. You could try removing the 3rd party modules to another folder. I did this once and didn't notice an improvement in performance. If you want a definitive list of what modules FS requires, open the installation archives on your FS CDs with an archive programme like WinRAR, you can find the modules folder with the module files that FS installs... i.e. the ones it absolutely must have to function correctly.Did the slowdown appear after you installed a particular addon? If so you could try unistalling the addon in question and see if that cures the problem.What about any new drivers or other software? Some bits of software like to install new services that run in the background and can slow FS down. You could try using FSAutostart to shut down background applications and services before FS starts.I got a new system in November.... Core 2 Duo processer, 2GB RAM, 256MB graphics card, all the bells and whistles. When I installed FS I found it was stuttering horribly. I eventually tracked the problem down to the Nvidia driver service. Once I disabled that my framerates improved and were much smoother.You could try deleting your fs9.cfg and restarting FS so it rebuilds the file with all the default settings again. Some people have cured similar problems by doing this.Likewise try checking your graphics settings both in FS and at driver level. It could be you've installed new drivers that have activated a setting or feature that kills your performance.If all else fails you could just uninstall FS and start over. A bit drastic I know, but it is almost guaranteed to solve lots of problems and clear out all the junk that accumulates in your FS folder over time. If you've got lots of scenery or aircraft installed you can always back up the relevant folders to save time installing those 50 repaints of the A320 or B737 you have installed......A few more things you could try, pretty standard stuff really - if you're running an anti-virus programme that features "on access" scanning then you should try disabling it. Try defragging your HDD, and it's also worth checking inside your PC for dust accumulation, particularly on the heat sinks for your CPU and GPU.Good luck!

Guest kilotango

And, try and get a registry cleaner. You might be messed up.Free: ccleaner, regcleaner, reg mechanic.

Thanks for your help, I will try these things out.I have installed a new driver for my Radeon X1650Pro graphics card, but if I disable the ATI services, will it have an effect on my display at all?Kind RegardsGavin Moss

Guest kilotango

If you by services mean ati's new control panel's, well, i dont use them. In my opinion, they're too fancy and take out a lot of power that can be used elsewhere. I use an old control panel, then just download new display drivers. In this old panel, i can adjust what i need.But i've found some problems with the new ati 7.1, and had to make a recover. Maybe just my system, but i skip it.