Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Is "Ground Environment" causing crashes, errors....?

I have recently suffered an amazing number of CTD's, crashes of FS9, and OUT OF MEMORY errors on my XPS running FS9 with no utilities, internet connections, AV, etc. It's a clean PC and used exclusively for FS9; up till now, it has performed superbly and smoothly. I recently installed GROUND ENVIRONMENT off CD-ROM from Flight1 (not Ground Environment PRO) and wonder if this is a contributing factor or maybe even the cause of any of the CTDs and OUT OF MEMORY incidents. What do you think? Is there an easy or safe way to uninstal GE to test whether it has been the cause of this stuff ?Thanks for any posts, advice, info, etc.JS

Guest abulaafia

THe problem is non-standard landclass information. GE Pro works very smooth with the default landclass, but as soon as you install custom landclass files, CTDs can happen.

So do you think GE itself (again, not PRO) might be doing something or not?JS

Once I installed GE Pro and FE and UT I started getting semi-frequent CTDs when I changed planes, weather, time of day, or seasons in-flight. Too much slewing would do it as well. But a straight flight from here to there nevers crashes. I think I was just pushing the memory too far with too many in-flight changes once the add-ons were added on.

Guest PPSFA

I have been using GE/GEPro since it launched, along with UT, Genesis mesh and LC, and Active Sky, never had a CTD yet. I would look elsewhere for the cause.

I think you have a point there somewhere.What is specifically I don't know, but too many changes always seem to make me get a CTD.Fiddling about with display settings whilst in flight is another one I try to avoid, often without success.Lastly, in my list of completely unfounded suspicions is Editvoicepack. This is a superb program which I absolutely cannot live without. However, I have a lot of AI, so ATC is busy and I use the "Accelerated" voicepack. I find that if I use the "Update Voicepack" option in Editvoicepack regularly - usually set it running on a Friday evening ready for the weekend, and then defragment the disk, I don't get CTD's. No evidence for that being a cause whatsover, but it's probably good practice anyway, so give it a try.

ngxu_banner.png

Guest dogknot

>....ATC is>busy and I use the "Accelerated" voicepack. I find that if I>use the "Update Voicepack" option in Editvoicepack regularly ->usually set it running on a Friday evening ready for the>weekend, and then defragment the disk, I don't get CTD's. No>evidence for that being a cause whatsover, but it's probably>good practice anyway, so give it a try.FYI, Lars Mollebjerg no longer supports or "updates" EditVoicePack. Give your 'puter Friday nights off for R&R or whatever. :-lolAny new "updates" will have to be exchanges among friends via e-mails and the usual sim libraries.Happy Flying! :-wave

####Well, its quite good fun using Editvocepack to create your own call signs etc, so we'll have to do it ourselves.I didn't mean downloading updates to update Editvoicepack, I meant using Editvoicepack to update the FS9 voice file.I'm very aware that this is probably rubbish, but after hunting everywhere else amongst sceneries, Afcads and AI aircraft and a couple of complete realoads of FS9 and add-ons, I do feel that if I don't update the FS9 sould files for a while, ATC starts to pick an kind of echo effect and then I get a CTD. It's an extremely big file - EVP_accelerated.gvp on my system is 346mb. This compares to the standard useEnglishBig.gvp at 199mb.Anyway, for the sake of 10 minutes with Editvoicepack crunching out a fresh 346mb GVP file, if it's one fewer thing to give me a CTD in the middle of a flight, I'll take the precaution!

ngxu_banner.png