Sign in to follow this  
Guest TMMT

Heavy Metal, which plane?

Guest TMMT

Looking over the selection of heavies out there available from upper end payware vendors such as PMDG and Level D, I was wondering what you might recommend for a long haul bird in a complete package.I used 767 PIC for FS2002 and loved it.Not much of any Airbus fan, but I do own the complete line of PSS airbuses, just not currently installed.The PSS 777 looks nice but YIKES the price tag for the complete package is way up there. Level D as a decent price tag, put the $50.00+ price tag for the PMDG 747 looks steep, is it worth it?I have the PMDG 737/600/700 and 800/900 and like them alot, infact my current long haul niche is filled by the BBJ modification package for the 737.

You cant go wrong in IMO with the PMDG 747 or the Level D. The Level D is a steal for the price. The PMDG 747 is more expensive and even more expensive if you add the Freighter but I have flown them both since the were released respectively. It would be a tough decision to pick just one thats why I have them both. I also have the PSS 777 and it's nice but the little things like V1 and rotate call outs but otherwise it's OK

I'll second, what Andrew said but if I had to choose between the two it would have to be the PMDG 747's I have both.The level-D 767 although very good is not as immersive or satisfying to me than the PMDG Queen of the skies which, It's been said is, 99% accurate simulation.Just try the TrackIR4 with it and prepare to be amazed.

Dave Taylor gb.png

I've always felt the 767 and 744 were incomparable :) Different aircraft simulated brilliantly. Each has stuff I miss on the other - for instance the LDS' more comprehensive virtual FO would be most helpful on the 744, while the 744's vc is more user friendly and functional to me. The 744 is almost totally silent while the 767 has various announcements.If possible both are a must.The 777pro is enjoyable but a different class of addon - a less complex, less polished class occupied pretty much by PSS alone.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

If you're looking for a heavy for its day, but one that is not quite so modern ;-), then head over to www.simviation.com/hjg/main.htm Historic Airliners Group. You can pick up there for FREE any version of 707 or a DC8 you could wish for in all the liveries. You will have to do a manual install, but there's plenty of help available if needed and it's definitely worth the effort. Been flying my 707-320 in late 70's Continental livery for over a month now and having a blast. :-jumpy Mike

Guest _MSW_

Both the PMDG 747 and LDS 767 are excellent, but don't forget that the excellent FS2Crew addons will give you a virtual flight crew and ground crew for both aircraft.Of the two, I would lean toward the 747, however, that is a hard decision. So I have both! :-) Mike

Guest Pilot533

Dont buy anything from pss ever. Go with lds or pmdg, you will not regret either one.