Sign in to follow this  
Guest advocatexxx

Is there a fix for the frequent controller-handoff problem?

Guest advocatexxx

I notice that Microsoft rushed to release FSX without apparently addressing many issues that still plague FS 2004. Given that I lack the funds to upgrade my hardware to run FSX, can anyone point me to any 3rd party fixes to the frequent controller-handoff problem that I experience in FS 2004? I'm sure this has been brought up before. Thanks! :-)

Guest CaffeineBomb

Change your altitude!I fly GA and kept finding myself being passed between center and approach controllers. Figured out it was as I drifted above/below (typically) 10'000ft - below 10k I'd be passed to the local approach controller, above 10k and I'm passed to the center. Switched to 11k and now I get to stay with center, no problems.CaffeineBomb

Sometimes you end up right on a boundary between coverage. This isn't a fix but one workaround is to simply ignore them for a bit. Basically, when one controller transfers you to another, acknowledge this, but do not contact the next controller. Then wait awhile until you are out of the area, and then contact whatever controller is available. The ATC will then let you continue your plan without having missed you. If you accept the handoff but don't contact the next controller, you won't lose your IFR flightplan.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF