Sign in to follow this  

Developers: Do you plan on supporting widescreen resolutions?

I've been looking at getting a new LCD, and came to the conclusion that LCDs are getting bigger, better, and cheaper. This means more widescreen displays will be flying off the shelves. Now I wonder when are developers going to start supporting widescreens? I think this is going to be an important feature for next-gen add-ons, I certainly hope developers are paying attention.

Guest dpc

The only thing that is affected by wide screen is the 2d panel. The panel is a bit stretched. Outside views and VC work perfectly in wide screen. If a 2d panel was set up for wide screen it wouldn't look right on a non-wide screen device. Also, I believe we are seeing the slow demise, all be it slow, an apparent demise none the less, of the 2d panels with the release of FSX. Not sure it benefits devs to spend much time on making panels that fit multiple resolutions if at all. Just my thoughts.

Hi Alex,I totally agree with you. Most displays now - whether computer style TFTs or large screen TV displays are now 16:9 or at least that is the situation here in the UK. I imagine in the US they could be a little behind us which is why it hasn't happened yet ;-)Whilst the views take care of themselves the 2D panels don't and I find it staggering that Microsoft didn't cater for widescreen 2D panels in FSX. How much extra effort would it have taken?:-hmmmAnd please everyone, let's not start promoting the demise of the 2D panel. Not everyone is a fan of the virtual 3D one. :-grrCheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest dpc

Not promoting. Observing.

It will never happen.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,United we stand! :-beerchug

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I always fly 2D. Like them better. Although landing in the LDS just after touchdown and before the front gear has hit ground is amazing in the VC as the reversers are just starting.JimCYWG

I fly VC almost all the time.But if a vendor is not going to do a nice VC, its an apportunity for them to do a Widescreen 2D. Its a marketing opportunity. I am surprised no one has jumped and taken advantage as yet.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

My vote is for a few of the excellent VC's out there. But, then I'm not much of an airliner cockpit fan.However, I prefer the use of 2D for "glass type" panels. Garmin 1000, Avidyne, Chelton, Grand Rapids, etc. Just as long as the VC is still an option.L.Adamson

Guest DreamFleet

"I am surprised no one has jumped and taken advantage as yet."Perhaps because wide screen represents less than 5% of the market, perhaps 1-2% at best.Do not assume that because you are on wide screen that the majority is. They are not.No, it is not a great marketing opportunity, not by any "stretch", sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear, Manny.However, we will have something in that regard for our A320, but if you think we will support every resolution or screen ratio out there, guess again. ;)I designed the 2D graphics for the A320 in a resolution that is, well, HUGE. If I made a print of the full 2D panel it would be larger than the real thing (10' wide). Thus, we can make it whatever ratio / resolution we want. However, we need to consider the majority of the market, and the labor it takes to do other formats vs, just how many folks would need such.This subject is not lost on us developers, we know about it, but we also know how few require it.Regards, Lou Bettihttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/AXP/AXPforumbanner.jpg

Hi Lou,I would have loved to look over your shoulder during development. Like many I'm amazed at the skills of panel designers... and gauge designers.. and aeroplane designers! :-)It seems to me a survey would be a useful thing here. I don't know about other countries but here in the UK widescreen displays abound even extending to laptops. The days of the 4:3 display seem numbered.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

>"I am surprised no one has jumped and taken advantage as>yet.">>Perhaps because wide screen represents less than 5% of the>market, perhaps 1-2% at best.>>Do not assume that because you are on wide screen that the>majority is. They are not.>>No, it is not a great marketing opportunity, not by any>"stretch", sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear,>Manny.>>>Regards, Lou Betti>Well Lou!I would think, a bragging right to say..."we were the first" even if its only for 2% is a marketing coup. BTW..I was thinking a 16:9 in an addition to 4:3 aspection ratio. The effort/cost of this.. I have no idea.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

<>I wish AvSim would change the keyboard shortcut for this smiley!16 to 9 is going to be used more and more and it just adds confusion :-(

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather