Sign in to follow this  
moss1

For the scenery savy

Good morning folks. I need some advice about reinstalling a scenery package. The following, I posted up at Flight Scenery. The forum there is a bit slow at this time, so I thought maybe someone could give me any tips here. I am savy with FS9 , but usually don't mess with scenery once installed. Your help is appreciated. Here is my post...Hey everyone, I noticed lately that my performance in and around the FZ02 area has gotten very slow. Especially at KPDX, I used to get low to mid 20's I have the FPS locked at 28 , now I'm lucky if I get 14 fps strobe like performance in any complex AC other than default. Sometimes my sim freezes for a couple of seconds as well when in the FZ02 area. This was not happening before, so maybe something went wrong on my end? My HD is defraged and the system is kept clean as a whistle daily. I wanted to try uninstalling, then reinstalling the scenery package, but do not want to mess things up as you know what one has to go through if a reinstall of FS9 is needed. What is the correct "how to" method to be safe. Also, I don't think I ever installed the UT USA patch. Would this improve things any? Thanks for your help.

Guest wji

It's my experience that AI_traffic makes a bigger hit on resources than scenery but having said that any time I want to know " . . . the correct "how to" method", I open the FS9 or FSX Learning Center (which are both on my desktop) and simply read the correct procedure.The FS9 Learning Center states in part:"Disabling Scenery Areas:You may want to keep a scenery area on your hard drive but not have it appear in the simulator. To accomplish this, you must disable the scenery area in the Scenery Library. In order to manage one add-on scenery area separately from other add-on scenery, the scenery you want to manage separately must be kept in its own folder in the C:...Microsoft Flight SimulatorAddon Scenery folder." This is the method I use.[/font size]Reference cited: FS9 Learning Center

Obviously something has changed, but I really doubt that uninstalling/reinstalling FZ02 would make the slightest difference, unless somehow files got damaged/missing. In that case I think there would be other evidence of problems. Agree with the selective disabling of scenery areas as a troubleshooting aid.scott s..