Sign in to follow this  
Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Global Terrain Mesh Free...

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Hello, I basically have Canada, and N. America covered in FSGenesis mesh. Due to a recent job loss I have not enough money to purchase for the rest of the world. I noticed that simviation has a global terrain mesh. http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm Has anyone been using this and how do they feel about it? Thanks, Josh

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Howdy, I have noticed quite a few reads on the post but no one has tried this mesh yet. I am starting to wonder if it is worth the time invested to d/l this stuff. Thanks, Josh

Hi Josh,I assume that quite a few people are using his files but they do have some unfortunate issues regarding coverage: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...4&topic_id=2210I'd suggest using the files from other authors who used the same data and did a great job with the compilation. Search the library for Andy Weir, Yohann Baptiste, and Pietro Mauri and pick the regions you're interested in.I've uploaded a few areas outside of North America, like the Himalayas, the Alps, and Namibia; search for Holger Sandmann.Cheers, Holger

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

Howdy, Thank You Sir... Yeah I will look into the others Thanks again. Happy Landings, Josh

Guest TomOOO

I have downloaded the entire mesh from FSGlobal http://www.fsproject.com/mesh_maps/World_Mesh_MAP.htmland, not tried your server but it likely to be the same data ...1) I actual bought a cheap FS-terrain (Justflight) so had US and Europe from this purchase2) From FSGlobal I have installed... New Zealand : installation a bit naff - must go in base Australia : East Asia : automated install Central Asia : manual but sensible install Himilaya (38m) : manual but sensible install 3) Not yet installed central and south America.Apart from the different install methods I have not yet foundany problems with the FSGlobal mesh, though have only tried somefavorite places to fly. New-Zealand had to go in BASE directoryas it would not be recognised if installed in a different directory;I guess this is a problem of the mesh size definition for these fileswhich does not supersede the default 1.2km mesh.Of course you have no come back on spikes or holes, but I haven notyet found any. The main problem is the download time - I am luckyas I have access to a terabit connection and their server is fast.I recommend you try one area of interest, it is easy to addand remove scenery references in FS9.Regards

Guest TomOOO

Sorry, thank you for pointing my error out.The free download is the FSProject, whereas FSGlobalis a pay product.

Hi there,and the original poster asked about the freeware global add-on mesh at simviation, which is different from the freeware files at fsproject. I haven't tried the latter so can't comment on them.Cheers, Holger

I have had that freeware global mesh on my FS9 for a long time. I downloaded all of it. It took me awhile and I have cable. It helps to have a way to download many files one after another automatically and also have an unzipper to unzip a bunch at once. I used a freeware program called "unzipthemall". I find that the mesh is good. What I did was I have it for the whole globe and then I have added other freeware meshes for specific areas which are 38 m mesh on top of it. So where ever I don't have 38 m mesh the area is still covered by this 70 m mesh. My entire world is therefore covered.Mike

I have used it with no problem - I simply download an area that I intend flying in - and delete it when I have finished in that area.Barry