Sign in to follow this  
Guest rafvr

ILS for Dummies

Guest rafvr

Is there such a thing as an "ILS for Dummies" ?? book or CD ??I`m elderly and ignorant in things ILS but I would like to get the hang of it if there is a good (but simple) tutorial aboutAppreciate any helpThanksGeorge

GeorgeI don't know of any books but one thing you might consider is joining a VA.Airsource is excellent and really well set up and run.You may feel a bit intimated by VAs but they are full members who will be able to help you with your quest to understand ILS procedures and they will always make new members welcome and beginners to.(If they are worth there salt)It took me a quite a long time to get the hang of the ILS system,but i love it and find it very satisfying when i get that perfect landing(not every time by the way)still have problems sorting out the correct descent speeds,and with visual approaches.AnywayI used to be a rather aimless light aicraft VFR man ,but since joining a VA i now have purpose to my flights and just love the big passenger jet aircraft.Hope this is some help.cheers AndyPPs i actually enjoy my light aircraft flights much more now because they mak a nice contrast to the mighty beasts

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest rafvr

Thanks Andy - I`ve always been a bit nervous of joining a VA, probably to avoid making a complete idiot of myself. My flight simming over the years has always been relatively casual VFR with scenery being a priority. You know the sort of thing, going to places that i have never seen or am likely to see.Anyhow, I might give the VA scene a whirl if I can find one that accepts "elderly idiots" - any recommendations ??RegardsGeorge

Guest rafvr

Thanks for the info "double-dutch"George

>Thanks Andy - I`ve always been a bit nervous of joining a VA,>probably to avoid making a complete idiot of myself. >My flight simming over the years has always been relatively>casual VFR with scenery being a priority. You know the sort of>thing, going to places that i have never seen or am likely to>see.>Anyhow, I might give the VA scene a whirl if I can find one>that accepts "elderly idiots" - any recommendations ??>Regards>GeorgeGeorgeYou wont make a fool of yourself.And VA s have members of all ages.If you want to checkout Airsource but feel nervous,just look for me there and i will help you out.(I can be found there with the same Hilarious name HoratioWondersocks)PS Iam no spring chicken myselfPPs Another good VA but more european in feel i can recomend is Euroharmonycheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

I have a book at home called "Instrument Flying Using Flight Simulator", or a title close to that. Pretty old book as its references to FS was back when the FS world consisted of New York, Chicago, LA.. FS4??. Anyway, it's a great book for learning all the procedures both precision and non-precision. I doubt it's in print, but you might be able to find it somewhere. If not, email me and I'll send it to you as I never use it anymore. Mike

LOL Nope a contraceptive pill is more than enough for me ;)But I forgot another classic: Stoenworks Aviation Page at: http://stoenworks.com/Aviation%20home%20page.htmlMore precise on ILS:http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/ILS%20Approaches.htmlRob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest pbn

Sorry I missed you had all ready the links...must be very tired.The Stoenworks looks very interesting, imo.CheersPeter

Guest abulaafia

I learned all about it from PMDG's excellent planes, which include hundreds of pages of professional documentation and flight tutorials.

Guest rafvr

>> I have a book at home called "Instrument Flying Using Flight>Simulator", or a title close to that. Pretty old book as its>references to FS was back when the FS world consisted of New>York, Chicago, LA.. FS4??. Anyway, it's a great book for>learning all the procedures both precision and non-precision. >I doubt it's in print, but you might be able to find it>somewhere. If not, email me and I'll send it to you as I>never use it anymore.>>> Mike>Thanks Mike - Ive traced it- if its by Bill Stackand many thanks to all for your helpful replies and addresses which I`ll be following up.George

George,Just in case there aren't enough links on this thread enough goto www.bcavirtual.com/crewcentre.htm and click on Geoff's flight school. He'll take you through the basics of everything nice and slowly. George