Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Going to miss you Mike...

Gees, isn't the old saying you reap what you sew. I have to say I enjoyed some of Mike's work but really when I checked out the swan song I just read on his website I was shocked at the attitude that it seemed to convey. This seems so sad.Thank you Holger for saying it so well. In my limited experience at designing stuff as freeware I do it for fun. I share it because I think some others might enjoy it. I do what I can within my limitations and I do not take anything personally. Anyone who sent me an email with "insight" or advice was always welcome. I have always found this community to be most respectful. Perhaps I just got lucky, but somehow I think its more about my respectful attitude. Its a game, its fun, I don't have to do it, I like to share. If the fun goes away, I might as well and I will do so with dignity.Cheers, Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

>Hi guys,>>P.S.: For freeware developers that are concerned about the>kind of response they might receive from the community I>suggest running pre-release Beta tests with a team of your>choice. It's a great way to get constructive feedback before>you send your baby out to the wolves.We always did (PS. we won also a few User awards with it too :-lol) but due to some unrealistically demands my dear Friend Milton decide to go with retirement :(As for freeware I still have fun to make it and enjoy my beloved hobby and if somebody don't like so be it ;-)But I can understand why somebody would leave when the fun is out of the hobby...There always will be a few around the virtual block not to mention because of the impolite attitude...It's all about fun in a mature manner :-)Andr

André

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I don't know of too many freeware devs who got more accolades (deservedly so I might add) than Milton Shupe. I guess freeware really is doomed...I've been around this forum for a few years now and Mike Stone's name has come up quite a few times. It seems to me that whenever it did, some sort of debate would arise (in fact I seem to recall many of the threads reading almost verbatim like this one does.) He always came across as kinda uppitty imho. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but maybe he just doesn't have the right personality for what he was doing. Perhaps there needs to be some sort of waiver that people have to sign before they download freeware stating that they will refrain from making suggestions or from making any note whatsoever of things they think could possibly be improved upon in a given model.

Guest airbus2

Well its a shame that mike is going, shame to see people leaving on a bad note.I appreciate the work he done, but if he was fed up of emails that he didnt care about, why not just delete them? or not give out his personal email address?Still i dont want to critise, i have never been in his situation, although have experienced what it is like to have work that you have spent alot of effort on put under scrutiny, its annoying and somtimes upsetting, but ignore the insults and listen to constructive criticism and you'll walk out a better person for it:D Anywho....Dave