Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeGTO

Wind gusts on final approach

Guest MikeGTO

Maybe it's my imagination, but when I fly FS9 with bad weather conditions (T-storm), when I'm on final approach and just flaring to land, I almost always get a violent gust or shift in wind direction just before I touch down. It almost feels "programmed" to happen, to make the landing more difficult. It doesn't feel like an organic or natural change in wind conditions. It's really annoying. Does anyone else notice this effect?

Apart from whether it feels right or not, it's supposed to tell you that you shouldn't be flying in these conditions. ;)

Yep same here. I noticed it as well. So I use Active Sky to make things more real (wake turbulence etc). But remember it's still a sim which isn't natural at all...It's all programmed stuff ;) But let me assure you, in real time you have the same phenomena. Wanna see it..look here at this great vid:

If you think it's becoming predictable, it's time to get rid of the sim and do some real flying...;)Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Bloody ####, you guys must be mind readers.Today i had it happen twice.Once flying into Dublin in a Metroliner, light chop, nothing out of the ordinary.Just before the piano keys at approx. 150ft i had a huge downdraft slam me into the runway.Second flying a Skippers Brasilia into Perth Australia and again, same thing, although i was ready for it after what happened earlier and managed to pull back violently on the column before ballooning down the runway; luckily i had plenty of runway to use!!!Use activesky as well.

There is a transition point/ altitude from the ground weather and the flying weather. There is not turbulence in the ground weather as comparted to flying weather.So yes, a sharp wind shear is partially a function of computer representation of two different enviornments and a shift from XYZ modeling of weather to XZ modeling (3 directions of movement to 2 directions of movement).However, a wind shear near touchdown in bad weather is a real world component which has crashed large and small aircraft in the past, and continues to so today.The FS effect may be more drastic than the real world in some circumstances - but at least it is predictable and consistent.

Hi All,If you are using Active Sky there are a few possibilities:1. It could be wake turbulence. Yes, even if a plane is nowhere in sight or landing at an adjoining runway. The way to check? Look at the main AS window where every WT event is announced. Another way to check? Turn off WT and see if this stops.2. You have purposely or by accident created a Thermal point and every time you fly over the point something negative happens. This is rare, but has been know to happen.Thanks All,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/