Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

"Holes" in 34R @ KSEA - Is this a valid fix ?

Like others I've been perplexed by how certain runways at various airports in FS2004 seem to have "holes" in them and cause my jetliner to crash on takeoff or landing or at least veer wildly for a few moments.Tonight I had an idea: I thought I would check KSEA 34R to see if it was "Concrete" because I was fed up with severe veering on takeoff when approaching V1 in various jets. So I opened AFCAD 221 and saw that the runway was "Asphalt." I wasn't sure if this was good enough (although it sure beats "Bitumus" which is a disaster waiting to happen at some international airports in the sim.) I then checked KSEA 34L and saw it was listed as "Concrete." Funny, I thought, why is this?So I changed 34R to Concrete and saved the edited .bgl using AFCAD 221. I then did many practice takeoff rolls in the PMDG 744 and the Level D 767. I observed a marked improvement in the characteristics of 34R in that there was no more wild veering at a very specific point in the takeoff roll. Although there is a moment of veering now, it is only a fraction of what it was prior to this AFCAD edit--using slew and repeated takeoff rolls, I think the veering seems to take place at or close to a taxiway intersection located is 0.6 to 0.7nm down 34R.I don't know if this is a valid fix but felt it was worth posting here in case others have had trouble like me and are seeking an alternative approach to these runways that seemingly have "holes" in them. Does the answer to these annoying "holes" lie in "filling" them with concrete using AFCAD 221, I wonder?!JS

Guest magnum_force

Come on down to Kansas City and check out our crap eaten roads that we pay taxes to drive on.But, we have hard winters and the road salt is harsh.I cant imagine Minnestoa winters or Michigan winters.Not for me. I am getting too old.

Come to Warsaw, Poland for real holes. You guys think you've got holes - ha! I challenge you! :-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)