Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Duluth airport gone!

Today I installed sone new AI and when I went to Duluth International to see some of the planes there was no runways, taxiways, or buildings. I don't have any mesh or scenery in the area, but the only thing I have is a custom AFCAD for Duluth. When I deleted the custom AFCAD the airport was still missing.Any clue what is going on? What can I do to get the airport back?

No one know what is going on?The only scenery I have that is close to Duluth is Pelston (kPLN) and Sault Ste Marie (CYAM) but they are like 300 miles away.

First, go to www.flightaware.com, put in KDLH near the bottom, and click on airport information. When the info screen pops up click on the link for the airport diagram and it will download. Print out the .pdf. The diagram will give you some degree of the coordinates and what the runway (and building) layout looks like.Start up AFCAD (version 2) available from the utility library here. Click on open airport and after the index is created enter KDLH in the search box and see what turns up besides the default stock (bottom) layer. Open the stock layer to see if parking, runways, and taxiways exist. If so, your default is OK.If there was more than one layer, repeat the open airport routine and double click on the next layer up. See what is shows. Get the filename from the AFCAD title bar in its window and write it down. If you do not see anything other than the airport center in this it could be a special scenery file perhaps only containing navaids (see the View menu) or it may also contain a flatten polygon which suppresses scenery in lower priority layers. This flatten can be legitimate if there is yet another layer on top such as an AFCAD file with special scenery elements or other scenery files which will not show in AFCAD. This special in-between layer is not included in the restriction of only one AFCAD layer above stock.If there is a third layer (this may have been the AFCAD you removed) do the open airport/search routine and double click on that top layer to insure there are runways, etc., in it. Again get the filename from the AFCAD title bar.Always use open airport/search in AFCAD to avoid its file caching restrictions.If your base scenery layer was OK then from another scenery in place there might be a mislocated flatten.The AFCAD you did have loaded should be at the highest priority (lower number than other scenery placing it closer to the "top"). There are some issues with how FS sees scenery .bgl priorities within the same scenery folder and an FS9 afcad is a scenery .bgl file. To insure my afcads get high priority I have created on my fs9 drive an AFCAD2Sscenery folder in which afcads get placed. This is close to the top of the list in the scenery library setup for adding scenery folders to insure these afcads get a very high priority overroiding any flattens from other scenery.Remember that after making any scenery change you need to restart FS to allow it to update its scenery index. Do this before running AFCAD for exploration.I think your problem is something installed a flatten file and it was seen in the wrong priority or the flatten had the wrong coordinates.To test the vicinity take a small aircraft loading a flight at a parking spot at KSUW which is a smaller airport close to KDLH.Another thing to check is find your scenery.cfg file, make a backup copy, and browse it in notepad. Each area has a remote= statement. It should be blank after the = sign. You can also search this file for any flatten statements.See if any of this helps.