Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

FS install on separate drive question

I recently added another drive to my computer to get more storage space. It was set up as another separate drive (F), not in a RAID configuration. Has anybody put FS9 on a drive that is not the main OS drive and how will FS set itself up (files on both drives, C and F)? I want to put FS on the bigger drive in order to have room for all my scenery and add-ons.Kim

Hi Kim,Just point it to your new drive during installation.ExampleInstead of the defaultC:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9you can change the drive as well as the folderExampleF:FS9or F:Flight Simulator 9You can put it anywhere you like. During the installation just select custom install, you will then have the option to change the drive, as well as the directory.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Thanks for the information. I was just curious if the FS9 CFG. file still went into the Documents and Settings folder and where the Flight Simulator Files folder (where all the flight plans go) ends up. As you know, FS9 doesn't keep all it's folders in the Program Files directory. Will the files span the two drives? I'm using Windows XP.Kim

Some files which are designed to be user specific, are kept in the user file areas, either in "document & settings" or "my documents". But those are not really required to be on your system or C drive, they can be moved if you customize your system.scott s..

FS9 won't have a problem if I move these folders (Flight Simulator Files located in C:/My Documents and the CFG. files in Local C:/Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Microsoft/FS9) from the C drive to the F drive after installation? I haven't tried installing FS9 on the F drive yet (I'm waiting for FS Global 2008 to be delivered) so I don't know where these folders will end up.Kim

I have my OS and everything else all on C: and my FS9 installation on E: D: is my CD/DVD BurnerIt's great this way, but I have no idea if it's faster. I imagine it is, and it never fragments. My previous computer was all on one drive, and it was always a mess after flying a few times. I do think the seperate drive improves performance, but this is a much faster system, and I've never had FS on this computers C drive.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired