Sign in to follow this  
Guest fullstoplanding

A 2008 Flight Sim Wish

That the elevator trim function would work as close as possible to the real thing. Trim, let go of the yolk or stick and the plane stabilizes. No porpoising.What are yours?Happy New Year. :-beerchug--Roger

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Roger- I don't think it's possible to trim exactly for stable (read constant altitude) flight. Remember that an airplane is dynamically unstable and wants to "wander"- if only due to the slowly diminishing fuel load or variable winds. Porpoising is natural and it's up to the pilot (or an autopilot) to minimize it.An autopilot which maintains a precise alt is constantly issuing trim commands. Similarly when you drive on a long straight road you are making "trim" adjustments to the wheel every few seconds. (Try trimming your car for a "hands-off the wheel" spin down the Freeway!)However you can trim so that altitude changes are fairly slow- but you have to pay attention! On my DreamFleet Baron I have a little proficiency exercise using Throttle only to maintain altitude within a +-100' band. It makes you concentrate on the task- after trimming as close as possible!Alex Reid

Trim in a real plane is a physical thing too you have to remember - you trim to relieve the pressure you have to put on the yoke to maintain a particular attitude, be that straight and level, a climb/des etc. You can't really do that in the same way in FS without some sort of crazy force feedback setup or something.

The C-17 has gotta be the most excellent and best looking airlifter out there. What a truly fabulous machine it is! High wing, 4 chunky motors, winglets and it looks like a dropship outta a sci-fi movie! Im hoping a developer turns to the C-17. If Posky did it Im sure we'd have a great one!

>Trim in a real plane is a physical thing too you have to>remember - you trim to relieve the pressure you have to put on>the yoke to maintain a particular attitude, be that straight>and level, a climb/des etc. You can't really do that in the>same way in FS without some sort of crazy force feedback setup>or something.I trim my joystick with a hat switch that is supposably imitating electric trim as far as I'm concerned. By looking at the screen, I just push it a few more blips until the plane is holding a constant attitude, whether level or in a climb or descent.My mind is nearly "feeling" the process, although it's just a composite of a screen picture & a joystick centering spring. However, it certainly does not feel like a real life plane that's quite out of trim.IMO, most simulated aircraft are touchier in regards to trim, and I rarely care if I keep the simulated airplane within 100'; as I don't care for constantly monitoring a 21" simulated horizon. I'll just use an auto-pilot instead. :-hah But.............trimming is instinctive, I do it regularly with little thought, and don't porpoise.L.Adamson

Roger: You may already know about these:realtrim11.zip by Nils Meierwhazzup.zip by Glenn Copelandhere in the library.I've used both on many aircraft and they work very well.Not a cure, but at least you know more about what's going on.Oh, and my New Year's wish is for a hefty twin engine throttle quad HOTAS.