Sign in to follow this  
Ed Kammerman

Light positions

There used to be an article on how to adjust the nav, strobe and beacon lights. I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. I just recently purchased Shockwave's 3D lights Redux and am trying to use the light config for the PSS B777 and need to reposition the nav, strobe and beacon lights.

There is a readme pdf within the shockwave folder that explains the procedure for setting up the lights and what the X Y & Z values mean.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Hi Ed,I have played with the lights on many of my aircraft - replaced some of the default strobes and nav lights with some brighter versions that look better to me. I cannot provide you with the specific coordinates you are looking for for your B777, but with some trial and error, you should be able to position lights on this or any other aircraft that you would like to modify.In your aircraft folder open the CFG and find the "Lights" section that will look something like this:[LIGHTS]//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpitlight.0 = 3, 0.90, -32.00, 2.90, NAV_redS ,light.1 = 3, 0.90, 32.00, 2.90, NAV_greenS ,The first number after "light" is the type: beacon, strobe, nav, etc.The second number (in this example 0.90) is front and back or fore and aft. Lower value moves light towards nose, higher towards tail.The third number, lower value towards fuselage, higher towards wing tip and the fourth number (2.90 above) is up and down. Less moves light lower, more moves it higher. The last notation is the fx file of the actual "light" you are using that is probably in your Effects folder.Save your changes in the CFG, then you'll have to select another livery of the same aircraft and load that to see your changes. Note that on planes with flexing wings, you might want to set the light locations (if you're adding lights) when airborne as on some models the wings move, but the lights you place will not.I do not know how to move lights exactly where they should be the first time and this often takes quite a few tries adjusting numbers up and down to get them placed properly. Hope that helps some. Steve

"The first number after "light" is the type: beacon, strobe, nav, etc.The second number (in this example 0.90) is front and back or fore and aft. Lower value moves light towards nose, higher towards tail." That's not quite correct. The light positions are with respect to the reference datum of the plane. Positive values are forward of the RD, negative values aft of the RD. The second and third numbers are the left/right values and the up/down values with respect to the RD. For most FS planes the RD is near the center of the plane, but there are a few out there with the RD on the nose; PMDG comes to mind. Mike

Testing underway:} I know about Shockwavve's database, I just thought the lights were't in the right places. I would also like to know where PSS puts their light position info is, since I fly their Airbus aircraft frequently. I will post screenshots shortly.Thanks,

>"The first number after "light" is the type: beacon, strobe,>nav, etc.>The second number (in this example 0.90) is front and back or>fore and aft. Lower value moves light towards nose, higher>towards tail.">>> That's not quite correct. The light positions are with>respect to the reference datum of the plane. Positive values>are forward of the RD, negative values aft of the RD. The>second and third numbers are the left/right values and the>up/down values with respect to the RD. For most FS planes the>RD is near the center of the plane, but there are a few out>there with the RD on the nose; PMDG comes to mind.>>> Mike>>Hi Mike,Thank you for that additional information. I'm not really that clear on how it all works and you're right, some models will be different. With some trial and error, I've been able to modify, add and/or move some lights on the planes I have, mostly Dreamwings, Posky and ifdg jets..Appreciate your input on this!Thanks,Steve

"I would also like to know where PSS puts their light position info is, since I fly their Airbus aircraft frequently"I would like to know this as well, so that I can change them for the A330/340 and the Concorde.Anyone ?Thanks.

What I ended up doing was making backup copies of the PSS light effects I wanted to change and then making copies of the same light effects from Shockwave and renaming them to match the ones from PSS. This seemed to also work for their Airbus aside from the B777. The only A/C config changes I kept from the one posted on Shockwave's site were the ones for the taxi and landing lights. There's a post on how to do this at Shockwave's site. Attched are before and after screenshots of the nav lights>

All PSS light info is located in the cfg file.If they're not, ie: Landing lights, it's becauase they're hard coded into the model and can't be edited.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG