Sign in to follow this  
Guest robystar

gradual transition

Guest robystar

Hi all,One more question I don't seem to find the answer for: how can you have gradual transition unchecked as default at start up? It is annoying to have to uncheck it each time you start a new flight, don't you think so?Roby

Make all the changes you want in your options. And then save the flight and make sure that "set as default flight" is checked.Next time you start the game those settings will be applied, including your plane setting (like cold and dark).

Guest robystar

Hi,And thank you but somehow it doesn't work. I had been thinking along those lines as well.Been also trying to find an entry in the fs9.cfg that could influence the initial gradual transition state at start up but found none.Roby

Exactly which setting are you referring to?The weather transition or perhaps something else?

Guest robystar

Hi David,I am talking about the gradual transition in spot view under view options. It does not stay unchecked and therefore each time I start up FS I have to uncheck it again.Roby

Thanks for the info - I think I may have found your problem.It appears that setting is kept in your default FLT file (NOT the original Cessna at Seattle) but whatever you have changed the default to - not in the FS9.cfg file. That setting is then passed on with many other parameters to whatever aircraft you then select.I just tried it on my setup - unchecked the box in question and saved the flight - checking the box to make it the default flight. I sometimes have to do this a couple of times as it does not always write the data correctly on the first attempt.To verify what the settings are for your "default" flight, go to C:Documents and SettingsYour User NameMy DocumentsFlight Simulator Files.Find the FLT file which is your default. Mine happens to be named Southwest at KDAL 13R.You can easily verify what your default flight name is by opening your FS9.cfg file and finding the situation= line. If you have changed the original default flight, that line will show the complete path and FLT name of what your default flight is now.If there is no data following the situation= line, then the original default (Cessna at Seattle) will be used.Assuming you have changed the default and there is a path and FLT name, use Notepad and open the FLT file and search for the line named SpotFastTrasition=It will be under the [Window.1] label.It will say either True or False after the equal sign.If the box has been checked it will say True and visa versa.Unless you change your default flight and use other settings that option should remain the same from session to session.Hope this helps.

Guest robystar

Thanks David, that did the trick.I never imagined there were still some flight simulator files in the documents and settings. I already wondered where they were but thought it would be just the fs9 way of doing things.So now everybody has his fs9.cfg under desktop/user/application data/roaming/microsoft/fs9 and then some more in C/users/user/my documents/flight simulator files? Or is that another of those Vista idiosyncracies? Or perhaps my FS9 installation is wrong?And how come the default start up setting depends on the previous flight settings? It has become a bit confusing. Can't we have all files in the FS2004 folder?Grateful for your solution and sorry to bother you with more questions as a result of your replying to the subject.Roby

I can't really address your questions as I am running XP and am only familiar with file locations in that OS.Your installation is most likely correct - some file locations are indeed different in Vista compared to XP.You know MS would never make things too "easy" for us - seems they always have to re-invent the wheel.The settings (cold and dark or whatever) which are stored in whatever you are using as your default flight, are passed on to whatever aircraft you select to fly. As far as I know this has always been the case with FS2004.If you ever want to "start over", you can just delete the data after the situation= line (save the situation= words though) and FS2004 will use the original default flight (the Cessna at Seattle).In XP that original flight is stored in:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Flightsotherand it is named FLTSIM.FLTYou should never edit this one as it is your "safety net" should you ever need to start over.

Guest robystar

Thanks again Davis,There is another one of those things I found out a while ago after de-installing an addon aircraft. I had to remove it from the aircraft.cfg as well and then had to change the previous flight situation in the fs9.cfg, if not FS came up with an aircraft initialization failure and would abort.Is that normal and what to do about it?Ahm, sorry once more.Roby

Yep, that is "normal".If you try to load a previously saved flight which uses an aircraft you no longer have, FS will usually load "something" and allow you to fly, but will almost always crash the sim when the flight is finished.About the only thing you can do is spend some time "housekeeping" now and then to be sure you have deleted any associated saved flights when you remove an aircraft.I usually do this every two or three months - I just try every saved flight I have and see if they work "as advertised".

Guest robystar

Thank you again David,That just about sums it up all.Will post another question in a minute that might interest you as well about AI, afcad and formation flying.Roby