Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Do i expect too much or is this normal?

Here's my system:P4 2.53 GhzGF4 Ti4200 31.40 drivers512 MB RAM PC3200 400MHzWinXP-ProI run FS with everything to the !MAX! ... except... NO shadows; NO Aircraft reflection; visibility is to 60nmFor AI I use MyTraffic or PAI or Advardac (sp?) aircraft in other words the frame rate friendly aircraft, but a lot of them.http://members.rogers.com/junk0477/home.htmnote LARGE PIChere is a link to a screan shot it is in CYYZ by simflyers as you can see I only get 7.5-8.5 FPS should I expect more or is this pretty much what I should be getting. what you can see is kind of quality that I am getting, which I have to say I can not complain, even 8FPS it is pretty smooth, I have no bluries or really nothing to complain about, just was wondering if in your opinion I should expect better from my system.PS sure on defoult airports i get high FPS but I don't fly there then not pretty enough :-lol and ofcourse each and every airport I fly to is full 100% with AI aircraft, for example in dallas I will have close to 100 aircraft with 5-8FPS, all depends if I see all aircraft or not the FPS may rise or lower, all in all the sim is smooth and twicked for maximum detail Antialiasing is @ 4xS and only lowered funcion is anisotropy is at LEVEL 2 for DirectX level8 for OpenGLThanks for your comments.Andy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Maybe you could marry Brittney Spears and complain the sex isn't good enough?Seriously, I am woefully jealous of your system. But I think you'll find that the fps on the ground or just after takeoff, esp. from an addon airport is always slow. There's just too much junk to draw to do it 25 times a second. I'm sure when you're 10 mi from the airport the fps picks up substantially.The only suggestion I can offer is to cut the anistropy. It's a known system hog.

I am afraid your fps is fairly normal under the circumstances. I have a similar setup to yours, P4 2.4 with Radeon 9700 and get similar frame rates with that kind of scenery. You'd get much better results if you turned your AI down, but the bottom line is that no matter how fast your system is, you can find a way to turn it into a slide show. :(

try to lower AA and increase AF to x4.personaly i find it a good tradeoff since i run fairly high res and honostly don't see that much of a visual difference with or without AA. the AF though, realy helps getting rid of the blurries - at least for me.

"try to lower AA and increase AF to x4" This is a clue. Try turning it off completly though. Why? Because you can then run at 1600x1200 with better frame rates than you have and it looks just as good. My specs are SLOWER than yours but here at Simflyer's CYYZ it looks just as nice :)Best Wishes, Randy J. Smith [h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Thank you all for responding my point was not to complain just to find out as I said if I expect too much or is it normal.. so I found out that this is normal and it makes me happy that I am not missing on anything. Thanks for responses.As for lowering the AA I will try it one more time and try to run higher resolution will see what happens but my eye seems to be pretty sensitive to jagged lines and highest AA which is 4xS gets rid of the jaggies however at the same time I am not so sensitive to little stutter at 8-9FPS and there is quite low stutter anyhow.So the bottom line is thanks for your responses and I ma just glad that I am not missing on anything if this is what it is then it's good!ThanksAndy

Your system is great, the only thing I could think of is perhaps getting a better video card, for your system an R9700Pro would scream!