Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevinkin

New SR-71 for FS2004 (9)

Guest kevinkin

No instructions are included with the freeware. Has anyone been able to figure out the panel? Is there an autopilot? Seems a waste of time to post a nice GMAX with no other info.- Kevin

How about a specific filename?A search for SR-71 turns up 6 or 7 possibilities.

Guest kevinkin

gasr71.zipJust a week ago a new post ...

The installation itself is rather straight forward, like any other aircraft but the author omitted to included ALL necessary hidden and visible gauges in his SR-71 archive. Seems that some of the missing gauges were already present in his own FS9 gauges folder, resulting in his pre-posting tests being OK and that he then forgot to include them in his archive. It's also possible that he did this purposely with respect to copyright issues.I've got all basic aspects of the SR-71 working correctly now but only after quite some alterations in the panel and aircraft.cfg files e.g. in relation to the missing AP, after burner effects and navigation gauges, all of which I could replace with comparable ones already present somewhere in my own huge FS9. However, for this quite some FS9 technical experience is necessary and for all those of you who do not (yet) have this amount of experience I regretably surmise that you will just have to wait for an update from the author himslef. Hopefully he will read this and react accordingly.Good luckHans

Guest kevinkin

Thanks HansI used to be able to edit panels and work with gauges a few years ago. Could you post a screen shot of how your modified panel looks with the autopilot and other inserted gauges?Kevin

Hi Kevin,Here's the screen print of my SR-71 panel including the AP which I have moved up to top right for clarity only. I found this specific AP-gauge in the panel of another aircraft and copied it to the main gauges folder so that the SR-71 panel.cfg entry could find it.My main exchanged instrument is the one in the middle for which I even had to alter the panel bit map via the standard WindowsXP paint program, otherwise the two knobs (heading and course) did not look right in the original. However, I'm not completely happy with this new instrument yet because it cannot display the ILS glide slope, so I will search around for another military type gauge which does have a glide slope readout. I also had to exchange some hidden gauges in the panel.cfg [Vcockpit01] which automatically control the afterburner effects and (a new) sonic boom effect. The original afterburner effects did not exist in my system. In the [lights] section of the aircraft.cfg I had to rename the afterburner effects for the same reason. Again, I am not completely happy with these effects because they came from a MIG-21 which has much narrower exhaust nozzels than the SR-71 causing them to look rather "feeble".Well, I can't remember all of the changes/enhancements I made uptill now but the above were definitely only some of them. Please however, do not expect me to post my "enhanced" SR-71 or any parts of it because it will entail posting copyrighted material from many authors.Hanshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/187993.jpg

Looking at this screen shot and it just hit me -- analog dials. Early 60s technology in this aircraft! Keeps me wondering about what the military has in their hangar now 50 years later, that we don't know about? Warp Drive?