Sign in to follow this  
Cheeso

RVSM Europe

I'm confused about current European RVSM implementations. Could you please chime in here: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...72157&mode=full and help me out?The question I now have is whether France, Italy, Spain and Portugal still have their major airways oriented north/south?Thanks in advance,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Gerhard:I'm not sure I understand your question. Airways are oriented in whatever direction they are to get aircraft from point a to point b and can be in any direction. All airways are major, there is no distinction between one airway or another except that Juliet vs Victor (high vs low). Also, RVSM is an ICAO standard that simply means that there is a 300m (1000') seperation between aircraft vs the old 600m (2000'). Therefore RVSM in Portugal is the same as RVSM in the USA or RVSM in France. The only differences are in the Flight Level designations where in the USA all Flight Levels start at 18,000 (Class A airspace) across the board, and that varies between the USA, different European Countries, and Asian countries. (In Europe there is a single RVSM airspace between FL270 and FL410). If you are looking for differences then search for Flight Levels by country and you will find your starting RVSM altitude. But the standard East-West, North-South altitude designation still apply.HTH,Mike T.

Thanks Mike.Even though I was not clear on my terminology, I think you did provide the answer that clarifies things. Whether the standard East-West, North-South altitude designation still applies, was what I was after. This would also mean that the quick reference graphics I made are correct and usable. (see the link in the first post)Thanks again Mike.Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

In some parts of Europe - a course of 045 degrees does require use of an EVEN flight level.On other parts of Europe - a course of 045 degrees does require use of an ODD flight level.Much of the world uses 000-179 degrees - Odd FL / 180-359 degrees - Even FLFrance, Italy, Spain and Portugal ATC uses:090-269 degrees - Odd FL / 270-089 degrees - Even FLTransitions from one RVSM system to a different ODD/EVEN system occur near national borders of those countries for aircraft in the 000-089 course quadrant and in the 180-269 degree quadrant.

Reggie:Are you sure? I'm curious now since the EU uses a single contiguous RVSM area now so AFAIK those countries don't use that schema anymore with the recent change. Mike T.

On the other thread linked above is a post (made Sat 5/17/08) by a controller who work in Brussels UIR - and he says yes it is different on the national borders.As you go through all the Eurocontrol documentation, you will see that each nation agrees to a contigious RVSM area, but each country also maintains the right to set their own transtion headings.Tracks 000

I belive that New Zeeland also has the N/S orientation of routes/transition headings.And to add to the confusion, always remember that ATC can give you any flight level they feel like. For instance, there are one way airways where it would be a waste not to use all available FLs.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Thanks for your input everyone.I have posted the quick reference on the vatsim forums and from the input I've received made a small change to make it clear that RVSM applies from FL290 up to FL410. (here is a link to the post: http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?p=235099#235099 )This update has been uploaded to the avsim library and should be available through this search as soon as it passes clearance: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=root&Go=Search Please make sure you get v1.1 Regards,Gerhard

Regards,

Gerhard