Sign in to follow this  
jfri

What if I had done this in real life

"Whether that's modelled in the game or not I have no idea"I don't believe so, and this is one of my major gripes with all versions of FS.First of all to those with more knowledge than I, and already know this, forgive me for being so fundamental, but I thought it might be new and useful information for anyone totally new to flightsim with no real world knowledge of flying:There are basically two types of props to consider. Fixed pitch props are just that. rigid and unchanging. Reducing MP (power) reduces the RPM of the prop, and increasing MP (advancing the throttle) increases RPM. However, with what is called a constant speed prop, the RPM can be set which will be held constant by electric or hydraulic adjustment of the prop pitch. Anywhere within a reasonable power settings by the throttle, the prop RPM will remain constant by automatically adjusting the pitch angle. The goal is to obtain maximum power and RPM for takeoff, but more efficiecy and speed at cruise settings with a reduced power setting (throttle).For some reason, this seems to be reversed with all birds that I know about in flightsim. For example, say a PA-24-250 (Piper Commance): Takeoff: Full throttle, max Rpm (Firewalled throttle and prop)Climbout: Reduce MP to 24.5", RPM to 2,450. As altitude increases, throttle will have to be advanced to maintain MP until such time it will be at this setting (or below) with full throttle (MP reduces with altitude)Cruise: Reduce MP 22.5", RPM to 2,250 (IN THAT ORDER, ALWAYS REDUCE MP, THEN RPM, and/or INCREASE RPM THEN MP). If we have climbed to a high enough altitude, we may have a MP in this range, or even below at full throttle and no throttle adjustment will be applicable. If straight and level flight has been established at a stable speed and we then reduce the RPM (add pitch), TAS should increase. Unfortunately, in FS speed will be reduced.Note that all settings may be different as per the data in the Pilot's Operating Manual for the bird in question (Especially if it is turbocharged). However, for "reality" within the envelope data in the POM, reduced RPM (increased pitch) should add speed, but the exact reverse happens in FS. The aircraft will slow down just like it would with a fixed pitch prop.Some addon aircraft in past years have included options that include wear and tear on engines and props along with relative cost estimates for longevity and repair. After so may hours and/or abuse they don't play any more until optional overhauls or repairs are selected.Happy flying:RTH

>If straight and level flight has been established at a stable>speed and we then reduce the RPM (add pitch), TAS should>increase. Unfortunately, in FS speed will be reduced.>>Note that all settings may be different as per the data in the>Pilot's Operating Manual for the bird in question (Especially>if it is turbocharged). However, for "reality" within the>envelope data in the POM, reduced RPM (increased pitch) should>add speed, but the exact reverse happens in FS. The aircraft>will slow down just like it would with a fixed pitch prop.I don't know where you got this information, but that is not correct. On an aircraft with a Constant Speed Prop, reducing RPM produces a decrease in TAS. The only advantage of decreasing RPM is to improve fuel consumption (at lower RPM the engine is more energy-efficient) and to decrease engine wear and tear.Lower RPM always decreases the thrust produced, and this is the reason min pitch (max RPM) is used on takeoff and landings.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I did not fly the FSD Seneca V by the book and after a few hours I lost the port engine. Of course my return was in IMC with a down-wind landing.This was in FS9.Jim