Sign in to follow this  
mikejr

Clouds - A realistic update set?

Hi guys, Just recently i have decided that the clouds i have in FS2004 are too blue in places - there is a slight blue tint in some clouds noticeable especially when flying over an overcast layer. I know that i got the textures from an add-on, but fail to remember which, it was definitely freeware though. What confuses me more is (at least i think) i copied all the default cloud textures and files from the MSFS CD, replacing what i had. It made no difference, and i know that the default clouds are much more light grey than blue (if less detailed). Does anyone know of this freeware set (maybe included in a scenery upgrade package that has this cloud effect) so i can replace the correct files; or of one which alters ALL cloud textures, preferably with a VERY REALISTIC outcome to replace all the cloud textures anyhow; or of how, precisely, to replace the set i have, with the original MS ones. Finally, when flying at night, i notice the clouds are too wight - i know that by even looking up at the real sky at night they are a very dark blue, maybe with an orange tint from city lights (i know this is not engineered in FS), and at the very most, have a faint white glow from the moon and/or stars - so does anyone know of a package that covers this too - or is it simply not available with the way the clouds are made in FS? Or is it just maybe that i live in a village?! :-hmmmBe great if i could have some responses on this one guys and gals.Cheers. :-beerchug

Mike 

After trying multiple freeware attempts at cloud rendition, I ended up purchasing Flight Environment from Flight 1 and I am very pleased with the results. They have numerous clouds to choose from....Greg

Guest ThrottleUp

Theres a bunch of alternate cloud textures floating around on the flight sim sites including this one. Have you tried the freeware FS SkyWorld? They have some nice clouds in that and quite a bit of choice along with a nice interface. As far as I know I dont think the clouds at night can be fixed but perhaps another simmer can advise on this. I too hate the cloud effects at night and fly without them.You can find FSSky World and other cloud stuff here:http://preview.tinyurl.com/69o96l

I'm using Active Sky and highly recommend it. Works day and night, beautiful clouds every time. Well worth the money. I too tried freeware combinations of every flavor and was never happy. Haven't tweaked a thing - Active Sky's Active Graphics weather-influenced mode does it all for me.D.

I'm with the ActiveSky recommendations, although I also use Flight Environment Pro, as well. I can't imagine flying without either one of them.

OK, thanks guys, looks like i'm gonna seriously have to consider this one!

Mike 

Active Sky and Flight Environment are just unbelievable together. I thought they'd be a waste of money; that Flight Environment was redundant to AS's Active Graphics module, but no, FE and AS made my simming experience just so much more real. I've used them ever since, on every flight. I never fire up FS9 without them. I just can't do it.