Sign in to follow this  
Reset XPDR

New Hardware questions for 2004

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All,Ok you hardware guru's . . I presently have a Asus P4B266/ w a P-4 Northwood 1.8, which is OC'd to 2.2, 512 pc2100 ram/ and VisionTek GeForce 4600 Ti 128 meg card; also the usual 7200 rpm hard drive.Now it runs 2002 fine, always staying in the 28-30 fps bracket unless I go to Atlanta or some other very heavy scenery and then it NEVER drops below 18. All in all I'm fairly pleased.With the advent of 2004, we all know that the system will have to be upgraded.....so, my question is: Which is presently the best MB to use if I am planning to run a 2.8 P-4 and overclock it . . . hopfully to about 3.3. I am sort of stuck on Asus but could be swayed.Advice on the MB and the ram would be appreciated.Thanks in AdvanceClay

Asus P4PE works good for me and is very stable: P4 2.4B @ 2.7.

>P4PE is a good board :) but.. >>My suggestion is to go with the Granitbay boards. >>Asus P4G8X would be my suggestion. Get a couple of matched >DDR sticks for use as Dual DDR and you'll get loads of >bandwith :) The Granite Bay boards have been having some probolems with their AGP ports. They still need some time to be tweaked and perfected via the BIOS and revisions. In addition, they are WAY TOO OVERPRICED IMHO. My recommendation would be to go with an ASUS P4PE, for a little over $100 as opposed to almost $300 for the Granite Bay you are getting a smokin mobo that can grow with you. I am running the P4PE + P4 2.4B C1 o/c'ed to 3.2G and it is smooooooth... There are three flavors of the ASUS P4PE. The first is the basic mobo with just Lan. The second has all the bells and whisltes like SATA and Firewire. The third has the addition of Gigabyte Lan (Which is a useless feature) Go with the Second choice, this way you will have SATA support for the new hard drives coming out as well as firewire.For video, no questions about it, go with ATI! The Radeon 9700 Pro has dropped over $100 in price since the announcement of the 9800 Pro. This is the BEST time to grab a 9700 Pro!! I was an nVidia devotee for years since the TNT. But after experiencing the new ATI products (And after picking my jaw up off the floor) I defected from nVidia. Not to say that they still don't make a fine product but for instance, In the latest benchmark tests, the Radeon 9700 Pro outperformed the New GeForceFX! Considering the 9700 Pro is over 6 months old, I think we know who the clear winner is...I would stick with your P4 2.4B. As long as it's a C1 Stepping CPU you may want to consider getting a 512M stick of Corsair PC3500 XMS memory and really open up the potential to overclock your processor. The investment in better memory is a more cost effective choice then to spend a few hundred more $$$ on a 2.8 CPU which will give you about the same performance as the 2.4B. This combination paired with an ASUS P4PE will give you MORE THAN ENOUGH raw power for anything FS9 can throw at you.Mark[/color]Old Bridge (3N6) New Jersey[/color] AOPA Member since 1999 #02624412[/color]Learn To Fly with AOPA Project Pilot!][/color][/font[/bhttp://www.infogamer.com/images/aopa3.jpg

Guest HansGroenewold

I'd like to ask a question here: I was looking at the Asus P4T533-C motherboard and was surprised to find out in a review that it did not support the ATA 133 HD formats, just ATA 100. I have two drives in my PC, the original one which is ATA 100, the one I added is ATA 133. I thought the ATA 133 was newer technology, that's why I bought it. Now I hear that ATA 133 has not been selling well and may go the way of quadraphonic 4 channel stereo, is that true?As motherboard specs usually do not list if they support the ATA 100 or 133 formats, how can you tell before buying if it supports ATA 133? Or better yet, is this even an issue? Lastly, does anyone know a good web site that offers good motherboard and memory bundle pricing? Since I have a Leadtek Ti4600 A250 Ultra card, would a Nvidea based motherboard be better suited for me? Thanks for any insight on this issue.Sincerely,Hans

ATA133 is absolutely useless.No harddrive can transfer more than 100MB/s (ATA100) and when faster ones come out, they'll be using Serial ATA anyway.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest FPSFREAK

If your talking about Serial ATA than no it doesnt support it. I can tell you that even w ATA IDE 100, My JB drives scream on this motherboard. Most MB manufacturers somewhere on the page for the specific MB you may be looking at list which IDE spec is supported. If your looking for a MB that supports Rambus, offers exceptional speed and stability you cannot go wrong w this MB.Hope this helpsBobbyJimmy is right. Most reviews show the fastest HD can transfer at around 90-94 so they arent filling the available bandwidth of the ATA 100 Spec.

Well, for what it's worth, I just finished upgrading yesterday from a MSI 694-2D Pro with dual PIII @ 1G, 1024K RAM, geForce3 500TI to:P4@ 3.06Gigabyte 8INXP ( Granite Bay)1024 DDR RAMATI Radon 9700 Pro.The system is fast, smooth and not over-clocked and will hyper-thread.Ed Green, KCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/images/ELAL-350.jpg

Guest HansGroenewold

Hello,So could I use the ASUS P4T533-C motherboard even though it doesn't support the ATA 133 or would I have to replace the HD? Thanks,Hans

Guest byoung

Spend the extra $ and buy an INTEL motherboard! You won't regret it!Barry

Guest HansGroenewold

I figured the ASUS board was good since the best Alienware PC I saw had that motherboard. I guess I need to do some more homework. Thanks,Hans

Don't be startled towards Intel manufactured motherboards - there are many fine motherboard manufacturers out there, especially ASUS. Also, I'm sure Granite Bay boards are wonderfully fast, but they just aren't mainstream yet, so cost mucho $$$. My suggestion is to go for 845PE offerings, which support HT and most other useful performance enhancements of today.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11