Sign in to follow this  
Truthan

Beta 7 - A Newbies Quick Guide:

Hi everyone. I've created brief "quick guide" for anyone having trouble getting TP going, or who has arrived here interested in trying it out. It includes pre-configured Beta 7 Version 2 TileProxy.ini files to save time and minimize errors. Files for both FSX and FS2004 (FS9) are included. Check it out here: http://www.edtruthan.com/tileproxy/7.2It's simple and brief, but hopefully this will help a few new simmers enjoy Christian's revolutionary program without getting too much of a headache.HAPPY LANDINGS! -Ed Truthan

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Guest walkgeo

Thanks Edwouldn't have gotten as far as did without your setup helpbut still this is a mess never could get get more than black tiles on a fast cnx and pc not really worried though looks promising but for now its more of a pain that its worth look forward to future releases.

Walkgeo,Black Tiles ay? Study the "Source=" entries in the TileProxy.ini file closely and make sure ONLY ONE entry is without a "#" sign. It should look like this:#source=Acme Globe Service#source=Service Example 1#source=Service Example 2source=Service Example 3#source=Service Example 4If TWO source entries are left without the "#" sign like this:source=Acme Globe Service#source=Service Example 1#source=Service Example 2source=Service Example 3#source=Service Example 4then you may get black tiles. I've added that tip today to my "Quick Guide" as well as the tip some people are having with crashes in full screen which may be solved by disbling the "hooking" feature:"enable_hooking=Yes" > change to > "enable_hooking=No"

- T. S. Eliot

Guest walkgeo

thanks for thatya did all that last nightunhooked etc. distance could see up close nothing adjusted fps in FS9 and played with texture sizes and such but could never get it going right plus the 25 min to load black tiles lolIll try again but for now my headache is just going away ;-)Regards GW

Guest Stoopy

Ed, this tutorial is a GREAT resource and thank you so very much for all the work!After diving back into TP after being away form it for so long (BEta 2 or 3 or thereabouts), I see SO many new changes and features, this was invaluable!One suggestion - the "hooking" that activates the active map-thingy definitely caused a consistent startup crash on my system while loading FSX. I also see that others have this problem and it's even problematic for the developer himself. May I recommend that in your sample ProxyUser.ini file, this be turned off, since many people like me might be using your sample as a "golden" starting point and could very well be running into the exact same problem?

Stoopy,That's probably a good idea. Though I have mentioned it in Tip #3 I'll go ahead and disable hooking in the FSX ini I've provided. I will make a note of it in the quick guide tips for those who wish to try and enable it for the map. Glad you had success with the Quick Guide.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Just a quick note to everyone. I noticed I had referred to the "ProxyUser.ini" as the "TileProxy.ini" in several spots in the Quick Guide. I've corrected those entries. Sorry if they caused any confusion.

- T. S. Eliot

Guest SuperFortress

Thank you very much for this Quick Guide. I've been hesitant to try Tileproxy for years but once I saw this guide I decided to give it a shot.I followed all of the instructions but for some reason I cannot get TP to work. I start TP. It loads fine with the message TILEPROXY IS READY FOR TAKEOFF. I then start FSX. I hear a couple of beeps in the background as if there was an error message somewhere but I do not see any error messages. I then start a freeflight. FSX then says LOADING TERRAIN DATA. It then stops at about 36%. The TP window shows no further activity and neither does FSX. Furthermore I do not see any kind of network activity or hard disk activity. The system is basically stuck and I wind up have to end FSX from the task manager. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SuperFortess,36% is usually where TP slows to a crawl and begins loading a great number of textures for a while. That's normal. But, it sounds as though your system and TP stops cold there. Try turning OFF your virus software. Others who have experienced similar freezes say that was the problem. Let us know how you do. I'll watch the forum.-Ed

- T. S. Eliot

Guest SuperFortress

>SuperFortess,>>36% is usually where TP slows to a crawl and begins loading a>great number of textures for a while. That's normal. But, it>sounds as though your system and TP stops cold there. Try>turning OFF your virus software. Others who have experienced>similar freezes say that was the problem. Let us know how you>do. I'll watch the forum.>>-EdI was also thinking that perhaps TP is actually working but extremely slow but would'nt I see some kind of network activity while TP is actually downloading textures? The problem is that basically my entire PC becomes frozen and I have no choice but to manually power off the PC.I am using NOD32 as my antivirus but I will try shutting it down.Thank you.Thank you again. You were right about the antivirus software being the problem. Now I have a new problem. After my flight finally loads I see nothing but black tiles everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

All black tiles sometimes occurs if you have left TWO sources "selected" (i.e. without a "#" sign) in the ProxyUser.ini instead the required ONE:Correct:#source=Acme Globe Service#source=Service Example 1 source=Service Example 2#source=Service Example 3#source=Service Example 4Incorrect: source=Acme Globe Service#source=Service Example 1 source=Service Example 2#source=Service Example 3#source=Service Example 4Happened to me recently too. Check that and see.

- T. S. Eliot

Guest SuperFortress

I have the following entries:#source=Acme Globe Service#source=Service Example 1#source=Service Example 2source=Service Example 3#source=Service Example 4

Great tutorial PDF I followed it to the letter - everything seems to do as it is supposed to do --EXCEPT that I am getting some (not all) black tiles. See here http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k59/Barr.../Tileproxy1.jpgFPS are high - the Sim flies smoothly - just black tiles.I have a fast ADSL Internet connection - have checked that I only have one texture source selected ( the Yahoo one which is the default selecton in the INI file)Any ideas of things to do with it - I have yet to search through the forum so will see where I get. BTW - this is in FS9Thanks Barry

Guest SuperFortress

Thats exactly what mine looks like too :(