Sign in to follow this  
MikeB

Finding Proper map_version values.

I thought I saw in an earlier thread how to determine the map version for the different services. I don't seem to be having any luck finding it tonight.Could someone explain how to retrieve the current map versions in use by a particular map service?Thanks,Mike

Hi Mike,I'm not sure how to monitor the the map service changes directly, (CB should know...?)but I did notice that in the the recent March 21st, 2008 release of TP: Service Example 1 is now up to "map_version=117", Service Example 2 is now up to"map_version=25". Aside from these two changes the ProxyUser.ini does not appear to have been altered from the March 12th, 2008 versions.-Ed

"We shall not cease from exploration...

and the end of all our exploring...

will be to arrive where we started...

and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

With Safari (Apple's web browser, which is also available for Windows), this is quite easy: You can open an 'Activity Window' that lists the URLs of each file that gets downloaded, including the jpeg tiles accessed by the map services' web interfaces. From these URLs you can easily see the current map versions. I think there is an extension for Firefox that does something similar.

Hmm - so does this mean that, once having setup TP and the INI file to the point where it is all working, we should be either subsequently changing the Map versions(as they change) for different servers or download/install each new version of TP.RegardsBarry

Arista,Perfect! I found it in Firefox. It's under Tools -> Page Info -> Media.Barry,Updating the version numbers in the proxyuser.ini might get you better tiles for the area you are flying over. From every TP release I have seen so far Christian has the current version numbers current at the time of release. Since there has been some talk about there being a significant amount of time before the next release I wanted to figure this out myself so that I could keep the map versions current. To be honest, I haven't seen much difference in the tiles between different versions so everyone will have to make there own decision as to whether or not doing periodic version checks is worth the effort over just waiting for the next TP release. Mike

Thanks for that Mike - something to keep an eye on. I guess that if a new map version improves/adds to a certain area in the world, then unless you fly there you wouldn't notice itBarry

But then, sometimes you do notice the difference. For example, with the latest update, G****e has updated the San Francisco area quite significantly. In the version 24 images, you can clearly see the shape of the Transamerica Pyramid:http://kh0.google.com/kh?n=404&v=24&t=tqtsqrqtqsssrtstrqIn version 25, you have to know what you're looking at to recognize it:http://kh0.google.com/kh?n=404&v=25&t=tqtsqrqtqsssrtstrqOf course, since the latter comes much closer to an orthophoto (i.e. one that was photographed straight down and has been corrected for the remaining distortions), it is much better suited for our purposes.