Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest william273

Fsx And Ram

i have an AMD 64 6000, nvidia 8600, 80 gig HD and 2 gigs of ram.i'm running FSX at 1600x1200 at the default settings and am wondering if 2 more gigs of ram would make any difference.thanks,william

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Download MEMSTATUS ( google search for it ) it will show you how much ram you are using. If you are using XP or Vista 32 bit you cant use more then about 3 gig and you have to add some lines to your boot config to use that. A better thing would be to go to 1066 meg ram. The 6000 can use it just need to mess arround with your multiplier and fsb. I run a 6400 with 4 gig ram but most ive seing it use so far is abt 1.75 gig in a heavily populated area and lots of ai and i only see 3 gig.

i have an AMD 64 6000, nvidia 8600, 80 gig HD and 2 gigs of ram.i'm running FSX at 1600x1200 at the default settings and am wondering if 2 more gigs of ram would make any difference.thanks,william
FSX in Vista will certainly benefit from more memory, but you would benefit more from a video card upgrade. The Nvidia 8600 series offered poor value compared to its predecessors, and successors. A 9600 GT or 8800 GT/9800 GT would do MUCH better.

Are you running a 64bit OS? You'll need one to have fsx and other software use the full 4GB of RAM. Vista x64 or XP x64 are good choices.I run a similar system to yours, but recently made the change to Vista x64 and added another 2GB of RAM. It helps especially in dense areas with detailed aircraft. However I also have a 8800GT OCed edition.

thanks alot guys. i was thinking i had enough ram but wasn't sure. looks like a new card is the way to go.thanks again,william