Sign in to follow this  
crvm

Odd thing with the self-installing C-172 from Real Air

every shortcut and file on my desktop ended up in my c-172 folder...never have seen that before...

Guest Tim13

That is one of the reasons that I dislike installers. I prefer to transfer the files myself, but for free I can't really complain.Tim13

Whenever I try to install the file I get a "Run-Time Error '53' File Not Found" and the installation quits. Can anyone tell me what is happening please. Thanks in advance

Using the RealAir C172 installer is about the simplest thing you'll ever do for FS. Just unzip the download to a temporary folder (not in FS2002, as stated in the installer readme) and make sure you leave the directory structure intact. Then click "Install_172.exe". It should put everything in its proper place in your FS2002 directory, and you should be good to go after that. And I promise that this installer is just a shortcut for a few minutes of hand-copy and pasting. It doesn't write anything to the registry, doesn't create an uninstall, and doesn't do anything other than copy to any file already in your FS2002 setup.If you do all of the above and still have problems, please post here and let me know precisely what steps you took that lead to the problem, and I'll make sure it gets straightened out. After all, it's the flying that should be taking up your time!thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

That happened because you unzipped the installer files onto your desktop. To avoid it, just make a new folder and unzip it there to install. That way you'll only get what you want, and not all the other stuff.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I download the zip to an "Aircraft" folder in the "My Documents" folder. I extract to the same folder and then choose the install icon. It opens the EULA and gives me the option to install to the FS2K2 folder. I click on the install button and then get the error. Hope this is helpfull.

So in the source directory where you downloaded the 172, are there other files besides the 172? If so, make a new directory just for this plane and unzip/install them from there. The "53" error would indicate that a file isn't found, so make sure you unzip everything into this folder and don't rename anything.thanks,

Bill Womack

Ok I created this folder just for this plane and unzipped to it. Still get the same error. What now? I have never seen this one before.

Did you look to see if the aircraft was properly installed? It might be an issue with the cleanup afterwards and not the install. If there is no "RealAir 172SP" folder in your FS2002 aircraft folder, then it didn't install. If there is a folder by that name, check to see if all the required files are in it. If so, just fly and forget about it. If not, let me know and I'll try and help out further. With a total of over 2100 downloads to date, this is the first indication of this problem, so I'm inclined to believe it's just a weird glitch, but I'd like to see you get flying properly.thanks,

Bill Womack

Yep, the folder was there, and inside that folder was everything else in the "My Directory" folder. I deleted that folder from the aircraft folder completely and reinstalled the C-172 from a directory dedicated to it. This in turn gave me the same error as before and then I looked in my FS2K2 aircraft folder and there it was again. When I select the plane in the aircraft select menu it won't come up. I get another error saying the model can't be displayed and then another saying that the aircraft can't be initialzed. ?Your guess is as good as mine.

The installer is looking for a basic installation of the 172 - a default aircraft. If you have renamed .air or amended files the installation does not proceed - the `53` errror. I have been using the Ron Freimuth air and cfg files in place of default, with different sound files from Aaron Swindle. As a result of restoring the default aircraft to install this package I have now lost those files. Not clever when what I wanted was to compare the RF flight modelling with the new dynamics. Really Bill, I would have released this without the installer. If simmers are fussy enough to want realistic flight dynamics for their 172, they ought to be technically minded enough to be able to install the files manually, and as they choose. I also hate installers as they leave traces all over the Windows Registry, cause problems with non-standard installations (like here) and require as much if not more technical competence on the part of the user to install the way the installer wants it done, not the way YOU want it done. And in this case I was concentrating on meeting the requirement of the installer so much I lost files I would rather have kept.Anyone have a link for the RF files? ChasW

Guest Douglas K

I doubt you will find a link for Ron's files, I can send them along to you if you want, I have two versions: C-172SP and C-172N.

Douglas, You're very kind:cward14@blueyonder.co.ukMany, many thanksChasW

My original modified Ron Freimuth 172's are STILL very much intact. Flight characteristics are still the same, and the dates of all the files remain the same, without modification. I didn't rename files, but the orignals were changed with the Freimuth air.file.The self-install created a new file specifically for the RealAir 172 without error or problems.L.Adamson