Sign in to follow this  
davidv

3gb Or 4gb In Winxp 32bit ? The 3gb Switch

Guest D17S

I agree. With the 3G sw and 2Gs of ram, the system will load ram (for the program) right up against the physical ram install of 2Gs. The op system is starved into dysfunction and causes all kinds of weird problems. This OOM function is really a safety feature. The op system will shut down the program before it chews up all the available physical ram. Because we've out grown the house, some need to knock down a wall. The structure can get shaky but here we are until we get 64bit - Programs - .

Guest Jeffhew

The mis-information here is really sad. If you're not having any OOM's then don't worry about it, there's likely no benefit in setting it up. If you are having the problem, give it a shot. It's very easy to try, and reversible if you find it doesn't work out for your needs. It most certainly DOES work with only 2GB of RAM, and it will work on any 32 bit XP OS. It has eliminated my OOM errors, as well as those of many others using both FS9 and FSX. I'll say it again, the 3GB switch has nothing to do with how much physical RAM you have installed in your system. It has to do with how your system manages the memory address space, and how much of that space is available to FS. Both FS9 and FSX are 32 bit apps and, as such, were programed subject to a 2GB process limit. FS is lousy in how it utilizes memory. Particularly when using some of the more complex add-ons out there. Using the 3GB switch resolves most of the problems and gives FS a bit more room to operate in. There are a number of threads on its' application and effectiveness in this forum as well as others. Just do a search in the forum for OOM and 3GB switch. You'll find a several conversations with detailed explanations and instructions from experts. Regards,Jeff

No, the switch is only for those with 4GB of RAM on a 32bit OS (XP or Vista). Do not use it with 2GB of RAM!
No, that's not correct. I had XP x86 with 2GB of RAM. I got OOM's, then set the 3gb switch, OOMs go away. It can alleviate OOM's even with users who run 2GB of RAM... However, since Vista x86 allocates RAM differently than XP x86, users with only 2GB of RAM in Vista should probably not use the 3GB switch.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest D17S

True nuff. This Address Space (Virtual space) function has nothing to do (directly) with physical ram. As described, a program's AS (VS) always runs higher than the program's physical ram load. In normal operation, a non-3G-tweaked system with only 2Gs of physical ram installed will OOM long before the program can load up 2Gs of physical ram. Again, this is because the program's AS (VS) function always runs higher than the program's physical ram load. Since the AS (VS) function will hit 2G first, it will OOM the program. Thereby, AS (VS) - Prevented - the program from using too much of the available 2Gs of physical ram and thereby starving the op system. This is certainly one of the purposes of having this AS (VS) function. While it is true AS (VS) has nothing to do with physical ram loading, VS (AS) and physical memory - are - related in this manner.If a system has only 2G of physical ram and - is - 3G-tweaked, this fail-safe is removed. The program can run its physical ram load much closer to the system's 2G physical ram install. Especially for ram-intensive apps (like FSX and the PMDG addons) this could cause problems. FS9 is an extremely light load and rarely loads above 1G anyway. FSX at mid to low sliders is generally fine too. If the system's working don't bother with these tweaks. These should only be used as a last resort. FS9 is not a issue. For FSX, running vista 64 with SP2 is the most reliable solution.

The mis-information here is really sad. It most certainly DOES work with only 2GB of RAM, and it will work on any 32 bit XP OS. It has eliminated my OOM errors, as well as those of many others using both FS9 and FSX. I'll say it again, the 3GB switch has nothing to do with how much physical RAM you have installed in your system. It has to do with how your system manages the memory address space, and how much of that space is available to FS. Both FS9 and FSX are 32 bit apps and, as such, were programed subject to a 2GB process limit. FS is lousy in how it utilizes memory. Particularly when using some of the more complex add-ons out there. Using the 3GB switch resolves most of the problems and gives FS a bit more room to operate in. There are a number of threads on its' application and effectiveness in this forum as well as others. Just do a search in the forum for OOM and 3GB switch. You'll find a several conversations with detailed explanations and instructions from experts. Regards,Jeff
I did not say that the /3GB switch will not work with 2GB RAM installed, all I said is that it should not be used in this scenario.Konrad

Konrad