Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gary Buska

Still Puzzled

Guest Gary Buska

I am still trying to make head or tails of this. I have flown some of the legs that have been put here with no problems but I still do not know how do you know who flies which leg? I thought this was some kind of team effort? I do not even know who is on the team? I still do not know if this race is a online race or what ?I hope some one can shed a little light here :(

I am still trying to make head or tails of this. I have flown some of the legs that have been put here with no problems but I still do not know how do you know who flies which leg? I thought this was some kind of team effort? I do not even know who is on the team? I still do not know if this race is a online race or what ?I hope some one can shed a little light here :(
Hi Gary,Your confusion is quite understandable. Let me see if I can help.Who is on the team?
  • There is not a formal roster of team members, but everyone who has posted to the practice legs can be considered an AVSIM Round the World Race team member. There are other team members who have not posted yet as the race is two months away but will likely showup as the actual race date approaches.

Is this a online race or what ?

• The actual race will be an on-line multiplayer event with teamspeak and probably shoutcast used. The actual progress will also be officially posted in this forum.
  • Most of the race practice (which is happening now) is conducted off-line. As we get closer to the race date and have our multiplayer environment setup there will be more multiplayer practice sessions.

How do you know who flys which leg?

• During the race co-ordination of who will be primary race leg pilot, wingman pilot, and backup pilot is done on-line through teamspeak. The ususal practice is that team members checkin on teamspeak at least an hour before a leg starts to let the team members who are on-line know who is available. The scheduling is informal but we try to insure that everyone has an opportunity to fly. The actual race is a very dynamic environment and the ability of the team to quickly adjust to circumstances places a premium on realtime communication and co-ordination.
  • During practice there is no formal scheduling of who flys a leg. If you want to fly a practice leg, just wait until the baton is free at a location. Then you post your "I have the baton - AAAA-BBBB" post and start flying your practice leg from AAAA to BBBB.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Hi Gary,The race is handled through the forum. Basically the race procedure is as follows. If the baton is at XXXX, pilot A then claims the baton by posts a message in the race thread saying "I have the baton XXXX - YYYY", then he flies from XXXX to YYYY, and posts "Baton free at YYYY". Then pilot B claims the baton by posting "I have the baton YYYY-ZZZZ", and so on. Techincally, anyone can just post in the race thread and claim the baton, but we usually decide who flies the next leg on TeamSpeak or FSHost during the race. It's still a long time before the race, so we don't have all that set up yet.

Guest Gary Buska

Thanks for the info I had seen the other posts where Person 1 claims the baton flys leg b then releases the baton and person 2 goes from there to where ever. I run behind a router and if this race is going to be on line I might need to open ports in order to connect. When I flew for a Virtual Airline that is what I had to do when I was flying online. I did not want to just jump in so to speak. I all ready have team speak set up but will need a address in order to use.Is there any kind of a set practice schedule set up. Usually by the time I spot the posts all of the legs have been flown. I know because this is just practice that I can re fly any leg I want. The other question I have is the 250 knot speed limit enforced below 10,000 feet and what altitude do you fly at? I recall seeing that max altitude was 9,000 feet I think. The other thing I notice is every one seems to be trying to plan a fuel load for each leg. Is this a requirement? I know for a fact that you can not depend on the FS flight planner to provide a accurate fuel load. I usually add any where from 5,000 to 10,000 lbs to what it givesI have a B737 that has a very good fuel planer but it is only for the B737 600/700 series.

Thanks for the info I had seen the other posts where Person 1 claims the baton flys leg b then releases the baton and person 2 goes from there to where ever. I run behind a router and if this race is going to be on line I might need to open ports in order to connect. When I flew for a Virtual Airline that is what I had to do when I was flying online. I did not want to just jump in so to speak. I all ready have team speak set up but will need a address in order to use.Is there any kind of a set practice schedule set up. Usually by the time I spot the posts all of the legs have been flown. I know because this is just practice that I can re fly any leg I want. The other question I have is the 250 knot speed limit enforced below 10,000 feet and what altitude do you fly at? I recall seeing that max altitude was 9,000 feet I think. The other thing I notice is every one seems to be trying to plan a fuel load for each leg. Is this a requirement? I know for a fact that you can not depend on the FS flight planner to provide a accurate fuel load. I usually add any where from 5,000 to 10,000 lbs to what it givesI have a B737 that has a very good fuel planer but it is only for the B737 600/700 series.
Hi GaryBear in mind that the majority of this race is flown in prop planes. Its just turned out that a lot of the practice has been corridoor "jet" flights. These legs are basically there to link up the major land masses, where it would not be practical to fly prop planes (the race would just take too long).Most of the flights are in single and twin, piston and turbo props. these include a lot of WW2 warbirds(P51, P38s Spitfires, Thunderbolts etc) and several modern cabin class turboprops (Cheyenne,Piaggio Avanti). Although the race organisers are always coming up with rules so a greater variety of planes can be flown competitively. There is no speed limit (it is a race after all :() and you fly at the optimum altitude for the plane you are flying (although winds may come into play in deciding an altitude. The max altitude you refer to was just one of the special rules for the 2007 race and wasn't in any of the other races. Most of the time it is prudent to fully fuel your plane. Its not worth trying to "just put enough fuel" for you leg distance. Any gain you'd get is far outwighed by the loss of time if you were to run out of fuel and crash. In any case i think most of the fuel planning talk was to do with the "heavies" and more realistic simming means that you don't want too musch fuel on board to increase your landing speed (especially at Flores :() I wouldn't worry too much about the jets, it's better to get some time in flying some of the prop planes of which there are plenty of freeware and payware examplesHarv

Harv.png?dl=1

GaryDuring this early practice, feel free to grab the baton when it is free. If someone has the baton go ahead and post and fly as a wingman if you want to. You might be confused because the last Corridor flights across the South Pacific are all over the place as to who flew what. I see these corridor legs for people who want to fly the big iron to practice in a race leg, so why limit it to 3 pilots and 3 legs when we will need a few more pilots than that to fly them in the race.

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro