Sign in to follow this  
ehasanov1

B737 Spoiler Question?

HiI'm learning to fly B737, and I have a question.I notice that during landing I don't have spoiler extension.I armed spoilers (green light on).Question. Spoilers should be deployed automatically (if spoilers armed) or?ThanksEdin H

HiI'm learning to fly B737, and I have a question.I notice that during landing I don't have spoiler extension.I armed spoilers (green light on).Question. Spoilers should be deployed automatically (if spoilers armed) or?ThanksEdin H
Hi Edin, Make sure you bring the throttles to idle and no thrust is applied during touchdown. The smallest thrust increase will prevent the spoilers from being deployed. Check your stick-yoke calibration and be careful with the throttle position (no servos) while disconnecting A/T prior to touchdown.

Hi Edin, Make sure you bring the throttles to idle and no thrust is applied during touchdown. The smallest thrust increase will prevent the spoilers from being deployed. Check your stick-yoke calibration and be careful with the throttle position (no servos) while disconnecting A/T prior to touchdown.
Thanks Jose.So it is not like with Airbus :( Because I thought when you put throttle to REV spoilers extends.I will check calibration.Thanks againEdin

Hello Edin,Just to clear things, what I believe Jose said was that you must be sure that your N1 is idle on touchdown, you would idle the throttle at 30-50 feet flaring anyway. In Airbus aircraft there is a "Retard" callout at 20 feet, moreover because of it's position in order to select reverse you must idle first anyway. Once armed spoilers will extend on touchdown regardless of reverser deployement.Regards

So it is not like with AirbusBecause I thought when you put throttle to REV spoilers extends.
Both in Boeings and Airbuses spoilers must be armed before touchdown if you want them to deploy when the aircraft systems detect an "on the ground" situation.The problem I was referring to (don't know if it's your case) it's not a real-world problem but a sim-world problem.As you know, Boeing throttles have servos that move the levers when the autotrotle is engaged.Normal joysticks or yokes don't have servos. The joystick throttle lever (or wheel) stays in the position where it was when TOGA was pushed after engine stabilization (normally 40% N1 in the NG). Now, a typical approach N1 in a fully configured for landing 737 is about 65%. So, when disconnecting the A/T, the actual thrust and the position of the joystick lever will disagree.In this state of things, when bringing the throtle to idle during the flare, it's very easy to produce a slight and unadverted forward movement (this is what I was referring to). If this happens, the aircraft systems will interpret you are performing a go around and the spoilers will not be deployed.As you also know, Airbus thrust levers do not move automatically, and as far as I now they have an indication on the ECAM (Airbus for EICAS) N1 gauge to correctly reposition the levers acordingly with the actual N1 value if the pilot wants to take manual thrust control.

HiThanks to both of You.I will try to calibrate yoke.I'm familiar with Airbus because I'm working on it :-)