Sign in to follow this  
Guest simjunkie

Gtx 295 And Tom's Hw Review

Guest simjunkie

I noticed on Tom's HW a review of the upcoming 55nm nVidia GTX295. Apparently it's sandwich design with 1 GPU and 2 boards linked by an SLI cable. I also noticed there's no FSX in the benchmark review this time. :( I wonder why that is? It works for other games but is the FSX performance so bad that it's not worthy? Or did it just get left out? If that card's as good as the hardware stats show (#SPs, ROPs, etc.) it should be an FSX winner.-jk

My understanding is that Nvidia only allowed the top 5 selling games + 1 game chosen by the individual reviewer for any benchmark articles to be published about the GTX295 (which is 3 weeks from release). What this amounts to is Nvidia trying to put the brakes on the potential purchases of 4870x2 cards - just in time for the shopping season too. I am sure ATI are very chuffed with this situation...

Konrad

Guest Nick_N
I noticed on Tom's HW a review of the upcoming 55nm nVidia GTX295. Apparently it's sandwich design with 1 GPU and 2 boards linked by an SLI cable. I also noticed there's no FSX in the benchmark review this time. :( I wonder why that is? It works for other games but is the FSX performance so bad that it's not worthy? Or did it just get left out? If that card's as good as the hardware stats show (#SPs, ROPs, etc.) it should be an FSX winner.-jk
LOL!Its just a die shrink and a new number on the same techCan anyone say.. 8800GTX to 9800GTX?business as usuall

Guest simjunkie

Good! Then the GTX280s should come down in price.

It's probably a pair of die shrinked 260's in SLI, meaning it will run slower than a GTX280 in FSX?

Guest Nick_N
It's probably a pair of die shrinked 260's in SLI, meaning it will run slower than a GTX280 in FSX?
ding ding ding dingwe have a winner

Does that mean the GTX285 gives better FSX performance than the GTX295?

Richard Åsberg

Does that mean the GTX285 gives better FSX performance than the GTX295?
YES the GTX 285 will be faster or at least as fast as a GTX 295 :( But only if you get the right GTX 285.Personally I just ordered the EVGA GTX 285 FTW (ForTheWin).The Air cooler will be replaced by a water cool block from AquagraFX.And to make sure FSX will run OK, I ordered two of them, one for each 30" monitor!But you will also need a very fast Core i7 computer to drive these GTX 285 cards.

Wow! Sounds like you will have one impressive rig there :-)Thanks for your input, I might end up with an EVGA GTX285 FTW Edition myself - my current 8800GT card is an EVGA SSC card and I've been very happy with it!

Richard Åsberg