Sign in to follow this  
htfc

B29 Nosewheel Steer Problem

I have Tom Kohler's B29 Superfortress base pack and have found that the only way to steer on the ground is to use differential main gear braking. The nose wheel does not steer at all. :( :( Am I missing something obvious?Season's greetings to all from the UK :(

I have Tom Kohler's B29 Superfortress base pack and have found that the only way to steer on the ground is to use differential main gear braking. The nose wheel does not steer at all. :( :( Am I missing something obvious?Season's greetings to all from the UK :(
I just installed the package and have the same problem. Nothing in the documentation that I could see addresses the issue. B) Perhaps an e-mail to the author would be in order.

I have tweaked the .cfg file and got the nose gear to steer :( I am no IT expert, but this fix worked for me anyway.I'm assuming that anybody trying this is as untechnical as I am - so copy the .cfg file first just in case things get screwed up'Open up your .cfg file and scroll about halfway down to :'free wheeling 'cart wheel type nose wheel!Delete the next 2 lines [ starting at point.o and finishing at 186].Now cut and paste the 2 lines immediately below 'steerable' nose wheel [ also starting at point.o and finishing at 186 ] to where you deleted the other 2 lines, and then save changes.Make sure Autorudder is on.She should now steer nicely.Anybody not wishing to mess with the file should find that using the F11 and F12 keys as ' differential braking' will also do the job. :(

I have tweaked the .cfg file and got the nose gear to steer :( I am no IT expert, but this fix worked for me anyway.I'm assuming that anybody trying this is as untechnical as I am - so copy the .cfg file first just in case things get screwed up'Open up your .cfg file and scroll about halfway down to :'free wheeling 'cart wheel type nose wheel!Delete the next 2 lines [ starting at point.o and finishing at 186].Now cut and paste the 2 lines immediately below 'steerable' nose wheel [ also starting at point.o and finishing at 186 ] to where you deleted the other 2 lines, and then save changes.Make sure Autorudder is on.She should now steer nicely.Anybody not wishing to mess with the file should find that using the F11 and F12 keys as ' differential braking' will also do the job. :(
Do you suppose I could get you to post a copy of the edited section (the 'free wheeling 'cart wheel type nose wheel) so I can see (and copy) exactly what you did?I too am prone to screwing things up so copying what you have done would be safer. :( Thanks in advance.

Hi David,Please see below:AMENDED VERSIONgear//// 'steerable' nose wheel!//// // cls longpos latpos vpos dmg bk dia str stat mcom damp ext retpoint.0 = 1, 29.0049, 0, -10.1860, 1182, 0, 1.5, 15, 0.3108, 2.5, 0.75, 8, 12, 0, 176, 186ORIGINAL VERSIONgear//// 'steerable' nose wheel!//// point.0 = 1, 29.0049, 0, -10.1860, 1182, 0, 1.5, 15, 0.3108, 2.5, 0.75, 8, 12, 0, 176, 186//// free wheeling 'cart wheel type' nose wheel!//// cls longpos latpos vpos dmg bk dia str stat mcom damp ext retpoint.0 = 1, 29.0049, 0, -10.1860, 1182, 0, 1.5, 180, 0.3108, 2.5, 0.75, 8, 12, 0, 176, 186Note that I also deleted the text .........free wheeling 'cart wheel type ' nose wheel !Hope it works OK for you too ! Let me know. :(

I should have looked more carefully at the aircraft.cfg file.While I did not see anything in the documentation about this, there is an obvious place under the [contact_points] label - marked //gear.There you can "uncomment out" the line which controls a steerable nose wheel and then comment out the same line under the freewheeling section.All I had to do was remove the // line from the steerable nose wheel section and place // infront of the point.0 section of the freewheeling section.It ended up looking like this:// gear//// 'steerable' nose wheel!//point.0 = 1, 29.0049, 0, -10.1860, 1182, 0, 1.5, 15, 0.3108, 2.5, 0.75, 8, 12, 0, 176, 186//// free wheeling 'cart wheel type' nose wheel!//// cls longpos latpos vpos dmg bk dia str stat mcom damp ext ret//point.0 = 1, 29.0049, 0, -10.1860, 1182, 0, 1.5, 180, 0.3108, 2.5, 0.75, 8, 12, 0, 176, 186point.1 = 1, -5.2930, -13.1234, -8.9567, 1378, 1, 2.33335, 0, 0.3110, 2.5, 0.85, 9, 14, 2, 176, 186etc.Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest. :(

Looks like we got to the same place but by a different route. :(

Looks like we got to the same place but by a different route. :(
So it seems!This was quite similar to the "tweak" which can be done to the default DC-3 in FS2004 - to make it (a tail dragger) steerable.That process is detailed in Issue Number 1 (of 25) of my Tips and Tricks for FS2004 series.http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&DLID=57955Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year - to all simmers! :(

Thanks for the tip David, I now have a steerable DC 3. :( By the way, my tailwheel now moves visibly when steering, contrary to the excellent Tips,Tricks,and Recommendations for FS 2004I simply changed the variable number from 180.0 to 60.0 and saved the change.Regards....Stuart Pearson :(