Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R MB with a Intel E6750 processor. According to the Gigabyte web site, my board will accept a E8600 processor which runs at a much faster 3.33 ghz and could be overclocked to 4 ghz. I can get an E8600 for $269. If I do the swap, including a new cpu cooler, will my present winxp recognize the new processor, or will I have to re-install XP and all my software? What other complications should I expect?Dale

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Changing the CPU shouldn't cause a need to reinstall the operating system, etc. on the hard drive.

I wouldn't call it "a complication"... double check to see you have the right BIOS revision for that cpu &maybe (re)activation of XP... but then... your just a click away.

I wouldn't call it "a complication"... double check to see you have the right BIOS revision for that cpu &maybe (re)activation of XP... but then... your just a click away.
OK, Thanks - I'll check the Gigabyte site for BIOS updates. I still am using the version that came with the MB a year ago, so a good chance I'll need a revision.Dale