Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike T

Virtual Memory Primer - Help With Ooms?

So, plauged by OOM errors? Listened to one of myriad of myths and turned off your virtual memory or sized it to some arbitary number? Well, here is a tidbit of information on how to PROPERLY size your VM to support FS9 (or anything else for that matter).http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...17/3155406.aspxOf relevant note to FS9 is Mark's explaination on how setting VM properly can help with memory leaks as well as opening a bunch of applications and using up all your memory in time. There is also a great deal of information on why memory leaks happen, how windows handles them and how to mitigate them. If you are running a 32-bit OS and have OOM errors in FS9 and FSX (and you refuse to move to a 64-bit OS) this is worth a read and some of your time to set your system up properly to handle the demand of FS9 and multiple other applications.Hope this helps.Mike T.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

So, plauged by OOM errors? Listened to one of myriad of myths and turned off your virtual memory or sized it to some arbitary number? Well, here is a tidbit of information on how to PROPERLY size your VM to support FS9 (or anything else for that matter).http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...17/3155406.aspxOf relevant note to FS9 is Mark's explaination on how setting VM properly can help with memory leaks as well as opening a bunch of applications and using up all your memory in time. There is also a great deal of information on why memory leaks happen, how windows handles them and how to mitigate them. If you are running a 32-bit OS and have OOM errors in FS9 and FSX (and you refuse to move to a 64-bit OS) this is worth a read and some of your time to set your system up properly to handle the demand of FS9 and multiple other applications.Hope this helps.Mike T.
-------------Mike- Sorry - but I was totally lost after the first para of that explanation. Years ago, at someone's suggestion, I set Virtual Mem to "Let system manage". Never had a problem and I wouldn't know an OOM if it bit me!This with triple views on triple monitors and a Win XP "Smithsonian" class computer that's soon going to be 6 years old!!!Alex Reid

Thanks Mike--very informative on what I'd describe as a voodoo window XP internals subject. I believe I got the formula right but I wanted to run it through you all as a sanity check (as reference I've been using the 1.5 times physical RAM in both min/max for paging size):With my 32bit WinXP Home with 2GB physical RAM, I cranked up all the applications I use when flying FS9--AS6.5, VATSIM, TrackIR, FSACARS (plus memory pulls from UT Europe, Addon airport--Brussels in this case--and PMDG 747)Checked task manager--memory usage and I was seeing a max memory commit charge of 4893MB with the above stuff running--from that value I subtracted physical RAM of 2GB (2000MB) and came up with 2893--which I set in minimum page file--as recommended, I doubled that and put 5786 in my maximum paging file.With the old values of 3000/3000 I was not getting many OOMs except when flying long haul flights with the PMDG 747 into Europe with complex airport addons--like EBBR/EDDF etc. I suspected a memory "leak" of some kind, but the article clears that up. Additionally, I just got an OOM with the PMDG 747 (and I'm not implicating that aircraft--it's my system and the memory commit charges when operating all the additional stuff in concert) after a 1.5hr flight from EGPF (Glasgow extreme) and EBBR addon, taxiing to park at the gate, in VC mode with Track IR going. I'm hoping the new values--more "scientifically" derived, will alleviate OOMs. Good stuff--will report back if I discover it's working better than the 3000/3000, or not.R. Micheal Perry

Thanks Mike--very informative on what I'd describe as a voodoo window XP internals subject. I believe I got the formula right but I wanted to run it through you all as a sanity check (as reference I've been using the 1.5 times physical RAM in both min/max for paging size):With my 32bit WinXP Home with 2GB physical RAM, I cranked up all the applications I use when flying FS9--AS6.5, VATSIM, TrackIR, FSACARS (plus memory pulls from UT Europe, Addon airport--Brussels in this case--and PMDG 747)Checked task manager--memory usage and I was seeing a max memory commit charge of 4893MB with the above stuff running--from that value I subtracted physical RAM of 2GB (2000MB) and came up with 2893--which I set in minimum page file--as recommended, I doubled that and put 5786 in my maximum paging file.With the old values of 3000/3000 I was not getting many OOMs except when flying long haul flights with the PMDG 747 into Europe with complex airport addons--like EBBR/EDDF etc. I suspected a memory "leak" of some kind, but the article clears that up. Additionally, I just got an OOM with the PMDG 747 (and I'm not implicating that aircraft--it's my system and the memory commit charges when operating all the additional stuff in concert) after a 1.5hr flight from EGPF (Glasgow extreme) and EBBR addon, taxiing to park at the gate, in VC mode with Track IR going. I'm hoping the new values--more "scientifically" derived, will alleviate OOMs. Good stuff--will report back if I discover it's working better than the 3000/3000, or not.R. Michael Perry
Well just flew the same setup/profile and got OOM at same place (DHL cargo parking at EBBR). Hardly Six Sigma accuracy statistically speaking, but I tried to duplicate everything--think I'd have to do a dozen tests or so to establish any trends--hmmm--think I'll accept the one off OOM. What I did not mention above is, I had 4GB physical DDR RAM 3200, but one channel on my motherboard went bad, and therefore, had to pull 2GB out (dual channel)...ouch.Still a good read...but still no silver-bullet with any microsoft product...chaos and complexity.R.M. Perry