Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Fly!ii Ifr Demo W/piper Seneca (video)

A few months ago I produced some videos while beta-testing Roger's new Beaver. While testing the frame-recording system, I produced a video of a basic IFR flight with the ROTW Piper Seneca V. I saved the video, thinking it may be a good example some day of the beauty of Fly!II and all of the developers and groups that work to keep Fly! alive. For those of you who may be new to Fly!, the Seneca V was a wonderful collaboration of Peter Sidoli (formerly with Real Air Simulations), F2FD, and ROTW (the Rest of the World) group:Seneca-RFD.jpg Parked at Wayne Roberts KRFD.Seneca-1.jpg Left cockpit and stack.Outside of this outstanding custom-developed aircraft, this flight was made with the following Fly! configuration:

• Fly!II patched to 2.50.240, the final contribution by Richard Harvey and the Fly!II Beta Team
  • Custom airport modeling of KBTV by Wayne Roberts
  • Custom airport modeling of KFRG by Scott Cannizzaro (part of his NY Long Island Airports v.2 package)
  • Default New England Fly!II Landscape
  • New York area Long Island TerraScene, produced by Todd Klaus as a default for the NY Fly!II area
  • Weather downloaded with InfoMetar by David Sandberg
  • Clouds add-on created by Jure Dolanec
  • Flyscripts! scripting program created by Anthony Merton
  • C4TO (Cleared for Takeoff) basic IFR ATC program, created by Marc Schrier as a Flyscripts! script

This is a sample cross-country IFR flight from KBTV (Burlington, Vermont) to Farmingdale, Republic Airport, Long Island, New York (compressed with editing). The following link takes you to the Dailymotion-hosted video of the Seneca. On the right side of the player there is a Menu button. If you have a decent Internet connection speed, set the options for Original Size and High Quality. This will shrink the window to 320 pixels and give the sharpest image. Piper Seneca V Demo Video

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123
A few months ago I produced some videos while beta-testing Roger's new Beaver. While testing the frame-recording system, I produced a video of a basic IFR flight with the ROTW Piper Seneca V. I saved the video, thinking it may be a good example some day of the beauty of Fly!II and all of the developers and groups that work to keep Fly! alive. For those of you who may be new to Fly!, the Seneca V was a wonderful collaboration of Peter Sidoli (formerly with Real Air Simulations), F2FD, and ROTW (the Rest of the World) group:Seneca-RFD.jpg Parked at Wayne Roberts KRFD.Seneca-1.jpg Left cockpit and stack.Outside of this outstanding custom-developed aircraft, this flight was made with the following Fly! configuration:
  • Fly!II patched to 2.50.240, the final contribution by Richard Harvey and the Fly!II Beta Team
  • Custom airport modeling of KBTV by Wayne Roberts
  • Custom airport modeling of KFRG by Scott Cannizzaro (part of his NY Long Island Airports v.2 package)
  • Default New England Fly!II Landscape
  • New York area Long Island TerraScene, produced by Todd Klaus as a default for the NY Fly!II area
  • Weather downloaded with InfoMetar by David Sandberg
  • Clouds add-on created by Jure Dolanec
  • Flyscripts! scripting program created by Anthony Merton
  • C4TO (Cleared for Takeoff) basic IFR ATC program, created by Marc Schrier as a Flyscripts! script

This is a sample cross-country IFR flight from KBTV (Burlington, Vermont) to Farmingdale, Republic Airport, Long Island, New York (compressed with editing). The following link takes you to the Dailymotion-hosted video of the Seneca. On the right side of the player there is a Menu button. If you have a decent Internet connection speed, set the options for Original Size and High Quality. This will shrink the window to 320 pixels and give the sharpest image. Piper Seneca V Demo Video

Hi Mr. Randall.Nice Fly2 video. How did you get the transparent runway with the aircarft shown as you taxied?thankchris_CA

Hi Mr. Randall.Nice Fly2 video. How did you get the transparent runway with the aircarft shown as you taxied?thankchris_CA
Chris,I had to think about what you were asking for a moment, but I'm guessing you were referring to the transparent Vector Map window that I had placed in the upper-left corner? This is a great tool, especially when zoomed way into an airport for a better view of runways and taxiways. It's also helpful in flight zoomed way out, and gives you a great spacial reference from the aircraft to navaids and airports, similar to the map display on the GPS or radar.If you've never used it before, you can select Vector Window under the Windows menu, or, simply use the hot key Shift-M to toggle it on and off. M toggles the Map - Shift-M toggles the Vector Map. Use the Vector Map's own menus to set its appearance and symbols. To get the transparent version (which is my preference), select Transparent under its Options menu.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123
Chris,I had to think about what you were asking for a moment, but I'm guessing you were referring to the transparent Vector Map window that I had placed in the upper-left corner? This is a great tool, especially when zoomed way into an airport for a better view of runways and taxiways. It's also helpful in flight zoomed way out, and gives you a great spacial reference from the aircraft to navaids and airports, similar to the map display on the GPS or radar.If you've never used it before, you can select Vector Window under the Windows menu, or, simply use the hot key Shift-M to toggle it on and off. M toggles the Map - Shift-M toggles the Vector Map. Use the Vector Map's own menus to set its appearance and symbols. To get the transparent version (which is my preference), select Transparent under its Options menu.
Thanks. :)

Thanks. :)
Hello Randall,I would like to know how you are able to make the Vector Window transparent. Checking transparent does not work for me, I am using a Mac could that be the problem or is there some other setting that has to be changed?Thanks, Mike

Hello Randall,I would like to know how you are able to make the Vector Window transparent. Checking transparent does not work for me, I am using a Mac could that be the problem or is there some other setting that has to be changed?Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike,Although I do not use a Mac, can you tell us a little more about your setup? What kind of video card, how much memory? What are you patched up to (i.e. 2.5.240)? There may be insufficient memory settings in the Render.ini and possibly in the fly.ini file in your system folder. You might also research the posts in the Mac forum section for Fly! / Fly! II and search through using "vector map" as your search terms. May find something in there from the earlier days... :(

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi Mike,I am not familiar with the operating parameters/systems of Macs. In the PC world, we need a powerful video card for such a simulation and the quality/effects are dependent on the driver software. I'm not certain, but do Mac users use drivers? If you were a PC user, I would recommend updating/experimenting with drivers and/or checking your video card settings.There are a number of "windows" available in the Fly! simulation, including Map, Vector, Axis, Instant Replay, and custom accessed windows such as the Navigation Log. The Vector Map is the only window that offers a "transparent" setting. It could be that this window is using a "video overlay" function, so you also might want to check your video controls and see if there is an "overlay" setting. Have you posted this question in the Mac forum? Is any Mac user able to use the transparent function?

Randall Rocke

Hi Mike,I am not familiar with the operating parameters/systems of Macs. In the PC world, we need a powerful video card for such a simulation and the quality/effects are dependent on the driver software. I'm not certain, but do Mac users use drivers? If you were a PC user, I would recommend updating/experimenting with drivers and/or checking your video card settings.There are a number of "windows" available in the Fly! simulation, including Map, Vector, Axis, Instant Replay, and custom accessed windows such as the Navigation Log. The Vector Map is the only window that offers a "transparent" setting. It could be that this window is using a "video overlay" function, so you also might want to check your video controls and see if there is an "overlay" setting. Have you posted this question in the Mac forum? Is any Mac user able to use the transparent function?
Randall, I have a new 24" iMac with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. Video is a ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, VRAM 256 MB. I get fabulous frame rates with a fully patched version of Fly!II. I did ask this question years ago on the Mac forum. Frank T. told me the transparent setting will not work on Mac he did not know about it working on a PC. I thought that maybe someone had come up with a fix.Mike