Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good afternoon from UK. I purchased and [eventually] installed ASA yesterday, an upgrade from ASX. I have been "playing" with the product and am already looking forward to SP1. This morning, I uninstalled the ASX software from which ASA was "derived". I don't know what happened, but the whole FS *drive* was obliterated :( . I understand that removal of ASX was permitted following successful ASA installation, please confirm. I have used my "key" for the second time already, 1 failed install, 1 successful install and then this "mishap" will cause a third "activation". I wonder whether an install *to the same PC* is counted against the total "lives" of the product and whether the key can be reauthorised in the event of further difficulties ? I do keep "occasional" backups and have one backup of 3 days ago, prior to a large [Australian] install which is currently being restored and will, following my [hopeful] next "good" install I will backup again. It seems, from another thread here, that keeping the good ASX exe file would be enough to do a "clean" install. This has not worked for me, have I misconstrued what I thought I had read. Thanks in anticipation of a reply.Maurice.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Yes, keep your ASX install file in a safe place. Don't worry about activations right now. We'll get you a new key if need be.Thanks,

Good Morning,Many thanks for your response, I am grateful, exactly what I needed to "press on" with ASA.Maurice.

This morning, I uninstalled the ASX software from which ASA was "derived". I don't know what happened, but the whole FS *drive* was obliterated :
Hello Maurice,I may have the answer to this ....I recently re-installed ASX on my new computer, but not to the default location. I inadvertently installed it to the root drive of my Flight Sim disc, so decided to uninstall and reinstall to a directory called HiFi. However, when I uninstalled, my complete disk was wiped - EVERYTHING went, FSX, all add-on aircraft, all add-on airfields, all add-on scenery, MyTrafficX etc etc....I wonder if HiFi Simulation might want to look at their uninstall routines to prevent this happening to others? :( Dave.

Hello Dave,I was in the same boat and rather surprised to see just a couple of files remaining that could not be removed as they were in use :( . Using Vista 64, I keep as much software away from \OS\Programfiles or \OS\Programfiles[x86] folders as possible. I did note that HiFi suggested that the recommended install path be used but it was not mandated, so I installed it on my Drive 3 - OS on 1, FSX Accel on 2 and Scenery + utils on drive 3. This alleviates the fragmentation of FSX and scenery etc. and something I have been doing since FS9 and UK Photoscenery etc. GenX2 correctly sorted as an AIO folder is a good example of "why" :( Fortunately, I had a backup from Monday this week [a full 3 drive backup - thanks again Acronis] so restored that and added ASA to Drive 3 again. The only real issue I had was the use of the licence code 3 times in 3 days. Fortunately, Jim has given an appropriate response to that, so my concerns have [almost :( ] vanished.I do NOT "pirate" software, believing in paying for software that I use, but it does sometimes seem that the "paid up user" sometimes gets more grief than those who may be less moralistic. I am currently awaiting awaiting my "next day delivery - in stock" colour laser printer, ordered yesterday morning - 1845Z and counting - looking ominous innit ? :( Sign of the times I suppose, but I am trying hard to get back to "operational fitness" and really look forward to using all this stuff.Take Care,Maurice.