Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Nealoc187

Textures for AI and buildings loading so slowly that it's unflyable with new, faster graphics card.

OK I installed my new 9800GT 512mb last night. My previous card was an old, old ATI X850 Pro.As per the instructions listed in a few threads on this forum I booted in safe mode, ran driver sweeper to purge all old video drivers from my system, then rebooted again, installed drivers for new card, restarted again, installed nhancer, rebooted again, ran the sim.What I'm running in to is this: at large airports like FSDreamteam's KORD, where there would be 100+ AI airliners milling around the airport, textures are being drawn so slowly as to make the plane (even the default cessna) unflyable. It's like a slide-show (literally, one frame every second or every 2 or 3 seconds sometimes). I'm noticing this with the textures on AI airliners, VC textures, buildings in the add on scenery, autogen building textures, and medium to far distance terrain tiles. Once the textures get drawn, everything is fine and I can then fly with usable frame rates again, but if I pan my view in the VC, or switch to spot plane view and either turn the plane or rotate the camera view, it goes back to slide-show 1FPS mode where it bogs down whilst drawing the textures, and then becomes flyable again after 3 or 5 or 10 seconds of slide-show, until I again change my view or the camera position, and the cycle repeats itself. It does this no matter what I have AA and AF set to in Nhancer, no matter if I have "Render to Texture" or "Transform and Lighting" checked in FS9, etc. Nothing I change seems to change the fact that the sim basically stops for seconds at a time as it loads textures.This never occurred with my previous, much older and much slower video card - don't get me wrong - frame rates are higher with this newer card once all the textures are loaded, but while loading textures the sim is unflyable whereas with my old card this never occurred - my monitor resolution is the same as it was before the video card change. I currently have installed Forceware 180.84 drivers. My first attempt installing the newest 181.20 drivers resulted in a blue screen of death when booting windows XP. so I uninstalled those, decided to just try a little older driver version, and that worked. As soon as I am done with this post I am going to uninstall these drivers and try another set of drivers, but really I'm just flailing in the dark here, trying random changes without any real plan of action because I don't understand the root cause of this problem.UPDATE: Just tried a newer set of drivers 181.00 - same issue. Appears to be no change. Also tried the latest 181.20 drivers again (tried the international version instead of the english version this time), still could not get the computer to load windows.Also tried deleting my FS9.cfg file so that the sim had to rebuild the file with a fresh one, no change. Current setupE4400 Core2Duo @ 2.92 GHzASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA motherboardEVGA 9800GT 512mb - 180.84 drivers currently (about to try a different set of drivers to see if there is any difference)Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP2Flight Simulator 9.12GB A-data RAM22" LCD widescreen, 1680x1050 resolution.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,The latest version of the video driver is 181.2 (8 januari). Before you install a new driver you must remove the old completely with "uninstall programs". remove the left over files with "Driver Sweeper" by example. reboot evry time when asked and next install the new driver. After you have the start up of FS2004 and set the right resolution again, close FS2004 and check the FS9.cfg file. Delete the DISPLAY.Device.Nvidia GeForce... sections which are not valid anymore.Hugo

Hi,The latest version of the video driver is 181.2 (8 januari). Before you install a new driver you must remove the old completely with "uninstall programs". remove the left over files with "Driver Sweeper" by example. reboot evry time when asked and next install the new driver. After you have the start up of FS2004 and set the right resolution again, close FS2004 and check the FS9.cfg file. Delete the DISPLAY.Device.Nvidia GeForce... sections which are not valid anymore.Hugo
Thanks, I've already done all of that though as stated in the original post, with no success.Neal