Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Digi TV -- the big switch

Well we had the big switch today when all analog TV was going away. They said at noon the analogs were to go dead, but all afternoon they were showing on all analog stations a loop on hw to connect and scan the digi converter boxes.Unfortunately our NBC affiliate has a lame low power digital transmitter so I no longer get it. Probably not missing anything but I will have to search out a super bowl watching site.scott s..too cheap for cable

Yeah, I'd heard that Hawaii had gone all digital by now. You'll either have to get a converter box or scrape for a digital TV. Digital and High-Def broadcasts look really fantastic if you can receive them and the Super Bowl will be in Hi-Def. You'll also need a better antenna for digital since the U.S. has a lousier standard compared to Europe and Canada and is not as resistant to antenna noise rejection or antenna back-lobe interference. If you have buildings or mountains that reflect the signal around your location, you'll get either no picture or pixel art. You also have to aim the antenna more accurately at the transmitter as well. :( Kim

You'll either have to get a converter box or scrape for a digital TV.
Or you can get cable. Really, the only people who need to worry are people who have an older analog tv and receive their signal via antenna - do many people still do this? I'm curious what the numbers are.I have cable, and the local stations all did a test during the news the other night to show people whether they needed to upgrade or not by switching their signal to digital for short periods. Hopefully, people are actually checking this before they rush out to buy expensive hardware.- Martin

They say about 10% in Hawaii are on OTA. As far as older set, mine is a 1080i digital CRT rear-projection but from a time before ATSC tuners were incorporated. And CRT RP is much better picture (and bigger) than what you get from LCD or plasma, so I'm not in a hurry to downgrade just to get a built-in tuner.The local NBC broadcaster only has a low-power digital broadcast that isn't receivable in my area, so I will be seeking out some other venue to see the game.If they offered an a la carte cable plan I might consider subscribing, but I don't need all the BS channels you get, even with "basic cable" which of course is only analog until 2012. scott s..