Sign in to follow this  
jjaycee1

Mesh & Texture res settings

Can anyone advise me regarding the suitable mesh setting in FSX based on the mesh one has. I have 5metre mesh in some areas (England/Wales GenX. FSDreamscape-various).My question is should I set my mesh setting to 5m in FSX. My system works fine at 5m and also 7cm Texture so I only am asking.. am I gaining versus settings of 10m etc or would the "view" look exactly the same if I set the mesh to 10m.Same question really applies to the Texture res setting. I have Oahu in 30cm....do you set to 30cm or leave at 7cm or any other setting.Guess I am trying to find out how mesh works and where the gains versus perf loss are experienced.Many thanks

Can anyone advise me regarding the suitable mesh setting in FSX based on the mesh one has. I have 5metre mesh in some areas (England/Wales GenX. FSDreamscape-various).My question is should I set my mesh setting to 5m in FSX. My system works fine at 5m and also 7cm Texture so I only am asking.. am I gaining versus settings of 10m etc or would the "view" look exactly the same if I set the mesh to 10m.Same question really applies to the Texture res setting. I have Oahu in 30cm....do you set to 30cm or leave at 7cm or any other setting.Guess I am trying to find out how mesh works and where the gains versus perf loss are experienced.Many thanks
Your terrain depiction will be more faithful at a 5m resolution when using a 5m resolution mesh. If you set your terrain resolution to 10m with a 5m mesh you will gain some performance but have a less accurately depicted terrain. If you are set to a 5m resolution in FSX and flying in an area that only has 36m resolution mesh your terrin will display at 36m resolution. You will see a performance difference between mesh resolutions. Your best to leave your texture resolution set to 7cm. So, if your system is performing fine for you, I would recommend you leave your settings as is.

Guest firehawk44
Yikes! Respectfully I submit every system is different. Do what's best for 'your' system and what 'your' eyes behold. Here's what I did with my pretty powerful system (Dell XPS720H2C): Ran FSX for the first time in default settings set up by Microsoft techs based on MY system specs (that's the settings you get when you first install FSX or delete the FSX.cfg and restart FSX). Slowly began tweaking my sliders upward and downward until I got the best graphics and good FPS w/o CTD. You should go by the recommendations of the developers of each scenery installed; however, that could put you into a quandry as FSDreamscape scenery may call for 5m mesh and MegaScenery may tell you to set your mesh to 10m and texture to 30cm thus causing the FSDreamscape scenery to crash as the settings are set too high and vice-versa. So you might be wise to make a fsx.cfg for each addon scenery plus name one as the default that you can always fall back on. I do know that if you move the mesh resolution slider up above 38m you're begging for anomalies in some of your airport sceneries as this raises and lowers the scenery. Some have complained that some of their airports are sitting up higher than the surrounding region and this means the person has the mesh resolution slider moved all the way to the right. From what I have seen on this forum, most people are keeping their scenery sliders at conservative levels like mine: LOD: Medium (the default setting was High but I was able to duplicate a CTD with this setting at High vs Medium); Mesh complexity: 100; Mesh resolution: 38m; Texture resolution: 1m; and Water effects: Low 1.x. There's an excellent configuration thread on this forum written by Nick N of GEX fame that you might look at as he is the real expert at getting the best settings for the buck. Recently I read about an outstanding tweak to scenery -- lower the water effects to no higher or lower than "low 1.x" as any higher setting will not make much difference other than place more strain on the CPU and thus the FPS. Thinking I would get the best textures available with water effects set to High Max 1x, I kept this slider set at the Microsoft default for my system (High Max 1x). I lowered it and Wow! What a difference that ONE setting made to my system! Because of that performance increase, I was able to move my aircraft AI settings from 10% to 75% and I get great stutter free FPS! It has made my FS experiences much more enjoyable. Heck, come to think of it I might be able to move that LOD slider back up to High again too! So, that's what you have to do: tweak until you get what 'your' eyes see as the best graphics w/o getting a CTD. I hope this helps!Respectfully,Jim Young