Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

AI Packages

I have been scanning the internet for information about various AI packages for FSX, but I am not sure which one to choose. My Traffic X 5.2 looks very good, but I was disappointed by the way that an A330 landed in a short video that I watched. It seemed to hit the ground quite hard, but didn't bounce! I would prefer an AI package where the planes land smoothly, together with tyre screech and smoke during touchdown. Obviously, I want something that provides me with lots of different plane types and colour schemes, including the correct airlines at various airports, and lots of activity.Maybe the touchdown that I saw was an exception to the rule?What do you guys think of the various AI packages, and which one do you think would be best for me (I intend to fly mainly in the UK, and also to some European holiday destinations).

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have been scanning the internet for information about various AI packages for FSX, but I am not sure which one to choose. My Traffic X 5.2 looks very good, but I was disappointed by the way that an A330 landed in a short video that I watched. It seemed to hit the ground quite hard, but didn't bounce! I would prefer an AI package where the planes land smoothly, together with tyre screech and smoke during touchdown. Obviously, I want something that provides me with lots of different plane types and colour schemes, including the correct airlines at various airports, and lots of activity.Maybe the touchdown that I saw was an exception to the rule?What do you guys think of the various AI packages, and which one do you think would be best for me (I intend to fly mainly in the UK, and also to some European holiday destinations).
Chris,With all due respect, this question gets asked numerous times each week. A little searching of the forums on the topic of AI Traffic will provide you with a wealth of opinions on the subject.

I use Ultimate Traffic for FSX and am pretty happy with it. I think the landing you saw is a common problem with the AI packages in general as they sometimes have a hard time when landing. I have seen at times where the AI land about a mile out and you see teh AI rolling across the ground to the runway. I also have seen the drop ut of the sky hard landing and think it probably has something to do with the instructions it is getting from the sim and when that happens there is most likely a cut off time if you will as to when or if it should land or if it should perform a go around. Since you are looking for an AI package I assume you want lots of AI and would download the utility named AISMOOTH here on the file library. It greatly will reduce some of those issues especially the goaround problem. There is nothing more agravating than to be told to go around after perfectly performing a approach. I have no experience with the others out there. Ultimate traffic is close to releasing verion 2 which will most likely be a improvement from version 1. Another problem I see with UT is that at my ImagineSim airports I have to have aircraft cast shadows on the ground turned off to be able to see the AI. You can hear them and see the lights on the wing tips but the rest of the aircraft is a ghost. All in all I am happy with it and look forward to the new version.

Jim Wenham

As stated there are a lot of topics covering AI on this and may ther forums, crops up every couple of days. I use WOAI free and have no real issues with there work. AI has many limitations in FSX, FS9 , and one of them shows when sim is first started, ie planes landing short, dropping from the sky etc. The models are not perfect as they have to be tweaked to have some degree of realism but also behave properly and there are lots of compromises, its an engine limitation. You can also get AISMOOTH it helps solve some traffic issues but again due to the sim engine you will see planes do things they cant do in real life, but it generrally improves once the sim settles but it also helps reduce the number of goaround you do, and may even stop that 747 from landing on top of your cessna. Enjoy it it will never be perfect.