Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carabou

How to open .cfg files?

Hi Folks, I'm having a problem opening .cfg files and would appeciate your suggestions. How do you folks open .cfg files?I've been happily involved with MSFS for many years and have modified scenery.cgf and fsx.cfg numerous times over the years. What I would do is open the file with Notepad and go from there.Recently i had to do a full System Recovery on my computer totally wiping out my computer system and then reloading the operation system (WinXP). I've done this same recovery a few times in the past using the recovery files located on my computers hard disk. It always worked well and brought me back to the factory installed condition for the operating system. This time I used a dvd supplied by the manufacturer (HP) to do the recovery, but I now have a problem when I try to open any .cfg file. When I try to open a .cfg file I get a message indicating that it can't open the file. I then try to select Notepad to open the file and it does let me do it and lets me make changes to the file. But when I close the file it doesn't revert back to a .cfg file (stays .txt) and FSX won't recognize the file at all. FSX operates ok but it just doesn't use any of the modifications I made to the .cfg.I'm guessing that if I had done the System Recovery as I had done in the past (from files on my HD, rather than from HP's dvd), I would have been ok.I could do a "non destructive" recovery again from the files located on my HD and hopefully this would work, but that means reinstalling all of the many programs I have on my system (data files would not have to be re installed).Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Howard

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When you save the files try going "save as" and then typing "aircraft.cfg" (for example) for the file name and then in the box below that select "all files" from the drop down menu instead of the usual "Text Documents (*.txt)" that would be there. Hopefully that helps

Thanks for quick reply Rob, sounds like a good idea - I'll try that later when I get home. Have a good one.

I had the same problem on an older computer. I saved it as you did, with .txt but then renamed the file by changing the extension .txt with .cfg. I had the same problem on an older computer. I saved it as you did, with .txt but then renamed the file by changing the extension .txt with .cfg.

Thank you a thousands times, Rob - that did it. Now the question remains: "Why didn't I think of that?". Have a good one. HowardMany Thanks Wandelen for your quick reply. I was able to get it to work ok by using "save as" "all files".Have a good day. Howard