Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmpbellsjc

An easy way to edit MegaSceneryEarth tiles?

When MegaSceneryEarth launched I bought Florida tiles 18 and 20 for the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami area. Like many here I am rather disappointed with the purchase for this area, however it only cost me $15 for the two so its not really a big deal. I think I would like to try and take a stab at trying to color correct and mess with the tiles and see if I can get a little better look out of them. I have never done this before with FSX photo scenery. So far in FSX all I have done is mip some textures on A/C and things like that. I know what I want to do can take a long time, but after I back up the originals I can work on it from time to time, even if it takes me a month or longer to do.What I need to know is what tool, preferably freeware, that I need to open the MegaSceneryEarth bgl's to get the bmp file so I can get to work on the process, and then to recompile it back to a bgl? I am assuming that it is a bmp file in the bgl? I appreciate any guidance you all can offer me on this. Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Very sorry, there is not at present any way to extract the image from the bgl.However, if you are willing to do the work, then making your own version of custom textures for Florida is very easy. Please see Make photo-real ground textures in Flight Simulator X in the Avsim library:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=112595There is no particular difficulty apart from the color correction of the source image. Generally, the process is to: - adjust levels - color balance (for aerial images, add lots of yellow to offset the excessive blue) - unsharp mask - adjust brightness/contrast (for darker, more saturated colors) - equalize if necessaryHere is an illustration of this process for what used to be the Beatty Farms airstrip in Florida (now, just another over-developed area):This is the original image:Please note that the top third of the picture is a different image with different colors, something quite common in aerial images.And the end result:Forested areas receive particular care so that their colors match the autogen vegetation, thereby avoiding the glaring inconsistencies in color that make the trees stand out.Good luck with your project.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis for the info. I had no idea that those scenery bgls couldn't be decomplied or opened. Oh well, perhpas I will look into trying my own scenery for that area. I wish the dev could have taken a little more time on those two tiles I purchased to make them look better. Maybe I will give the Florida photo scenery by Tyler Newport a look as well. Thanks