Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strider

MD-11, no VOR mode above 18,000 ft?

While reading the FMS manual, I came accross a statement that "VOR mode is only available below 18,000 feet" (FMS.10.35). I'm a bit confused as this is the first of my many aircraft with this restriction. I'm going to guess that PMDG was faithful in it's reproduction of the real world MD-11 FMS, so...why is it there? How does one, then, fly to a VOR, along a chosen radial, when above 18,000 feet? Thanks for any enlightenment.Victor Buck

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

VOR mode is used for VOR-approaches only, so you don't need it during cruize. If you want to intercept a track to a waypoint you can hit the Direct button on the MCDU and enter the VOR and intercept course if you want.Another way to do is is to make a PBD. Waypoint/radial/distance and insert this on the flightplan page.Regards, Floris

I'm a bit confused as this is the first of my many aircraft with this restriction.
Well, 747-400 has no VOR mode (for autopilot) at all .... so you can say it is even more 'restricted'.

Well, 747-400 has no VOR mode (for autopilot) at all .... so you can say it is even more 'restricted'.
I was not aware of that...don't own a B744 yet (well, other than the FS9 default, that is).V. Buck

The MD is actually as good as it gets these days. The A310 was the last design that allowed VOR tracking. Everything else A320 onwards, and 757/767 onwards can't track VORs at all.