Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahinterl

MD-11 (FS9) questions

Slowly I make progress with the plane, but I guess I need to come back often to ask some questions :(. Here are those from my last FS session:1.On different situations, I experienced that most of the infos displayed on the APPROACH page can become dashed. Last time I saw this when I set up a traffic pattern flight plan but flew the route by hand in HDG SEL and ALT and VNAV only and bypassed some waypoints. An ILS approach was filed in the flight plan, and as long I didn't have the waypoint with the small ILS label above it on the F-PLN page as next waypoint, I got no ldg wt and no v speeds for approach. I remember to have selected the waypoint as DIRECT to, somehow the weight and the speeds were there afterwards. I also remember that I once had an APPROACH page with the values all blinking and then going dashed. Is it normal to loose that information on the APPROACH page? I have no access to a manual at the moment, is there any other place in the MCDU where I can get ldg wt, and since I lack performance tables, how can I determine appropriate landing speeds?2.What is this symbol: Magenta altitude readout above altitude tape preceded by a filled magenta circle. When during descend on PROF the respective altitude comes into view on the altitude tape, the magenta filled circle wanders onto the tape (left of the altitude) and the altitude value above the speed tape is then preceded by a hollow circle.3.I'm somehow uncertain when the FMS adjusts for altitude and speed to meet constraints. During descend I saw it somehow managed to reduce to 250 kts near the floating waypoint 250/10000, but when exactly does the automatics reduce speed and adjust for altitude? I think of two constraints with different speeds (e.g. 250 and 200), when is the transition between speeds performed? As soon as the 1st constraint is overflown or somewhere when the automatics calculated for speed reduction?4.During descend on PROF and NAV the ATS was in CLMP IDLE all the time, even with the vdev pointer wandering up towards the top of the deviation scale. I'd expect the ATS to leave clamp mode and give some thrust in that situation but it didn't.5.To me it looks like below FL100 speed is up to the pilots, at least my flight plan showed 250 for the floating waypoint 250/10000 and " symbols for all remaining waypoints up to the ILS and the runway. Doesn't the FMS plan for landing speeds and deceleration or did I something wrong? I used SPD SEL and flaps to slowdown...6.When I strung a flight plan with an ILS to GCRR, I entered the LAT REV page and selected ILS03 under STAR. The result on the F-PLN page was interesting: GCRR-DME10-DME7-RWY03-GCRR when I remember correctly, so it contained a loop which was clearly visible on the ND (GCRR, then back to DME10 and again towards GCRR) and I needed to delete the first GCRR occurrence to make the plan flyable and get a straight line on the ND. Isn't the MCDU "intelligent" enough to avoid such a problem or did I do something wrong?7.Waypoint stringing for approaches at times is a mistery for me. For instance I tried to enter a simple pattern to the MCDU: GCTS rwy08-TFS/180/2-TFS-GCTS ILS08. It was not possible to get the TFS/180/2 waypoint depicted on the ND and the route never looked like I wanted it to...8Is it possible to somehow control waypoint placement of automatically inserted waypoints when an ILS approach for a destination airport is chosen? When I delete the wrong waypoint(s), ILS automatics is lost and I need to start over and reconstruct the approach after deleting the rest of the flight plan...Andreas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

A common denominator for most of these are doubts regarding your use of autoflight vs manual intervention and how the FMS handles your manual intervention. I suggest you first become comfortable with autoflight then experiment with various ways to override it.1. The UFOB is always available on the weights screen, in this case you could have use GO TO the IAF to give the computer a flight plath to use to project landing weights.2. Speed tape symbols are in the systems manual for both PFD and ND. Both altitude tape and descent guage (item 4) were telling you that you were below flight profile.3. I've seen the FMS command a speed reduction at TOD to anticipate constraints in the arrival (eg, ZIGGY at KONT). If you let her do her job she is very good at it. Deacceleration for final approach occurs when you put Flaps15 down, the final speeds may not be indicated on the MCDU but they will appear in magenta above the speed tape. Try it.4. I believe you escaped PROF mode, you should have corrected sooner before you got below profile by pressing the PROF button.5. See Item 3 above.6. The MCDU is very intelligent but when you insert an arrival or approach it does just that, which is correct. Compare what it inserted with the chart for the approach and it should make sense why it did what it did. Maybe there was a better approach transition to use? The MCDU and sidstar procedures that it reads cannot replace a chart.7. Most approaches and many arrivals/departures have fixes in them that are local only, not global. You can only enter global fixes with the MCDU or create custom fixes using bearing/distance or lat/lon for example. The local fixes come from the sidstar file, the global fixes come from navdata. When you select a SID or STAR or IAP it gets that info from the sidstar file, but when you enter a fix name it looks in the navdata for the definition. It is possible to enter a FIX/bearing/distance fix but see fms manual for this procedure. This discussion applies to Item 8 as well.It is a lot easier if you narrow the focus of your questions.. followon discussions will become very hard to follow when you use this shotgun approach. I will repeat what I started: Learn the basics of the FMS and autoflight before you start customizing routes. Hope this helps.