Sign in to follow this  
ega

B-25J RAF MkII (Freeware) released

Clearly one of the best (if not the best) freeware aircraft I've seen and probably better then many payware ones as well. Graphics are unbelievable, detail fantastic and flight behavior great.Thanks Roy and team....... Howard

Guest Stan V

I concur that this is a well done, quality product, especially considering the money you have to spend ($0) to put it in your hangar. It is well modeled on the exterior and there are no FSX Acceleration transparancy issues with this aircraft from the inside that I can see (it was optimized for this version of the sim). The prop blurs are just about right. Roy and his team have even gone out of their way to add in a few extra goodies like support equipment outside when the aircraft is parked, and there is an animated flight crew who hurry to and from their seats in the exterior views when the entrance/egress commands are given. It also seems to fly very smoothly and the views of the outside as seen by the crew are realistic and well done. The sound appears to be accurate as best I can tell with the characteristic "popping" sound randomly made by the B-25's powerful engines when idling.Having said the above, I was quite disappointed by the team's design assumption that most FSX users prefer to fly from the 2D cockpit. It used to be so and still is for some I am certain but with the advent of quality VC cockpits these days, especially in FSX, I think the pendulum has swung over. I know it has for me. Roy and his team provide a full VC instrument panel and all the outside views from the cockpit but then they simply stop there. There are no animated yokes, central control pedestal, or instruments that typically line the sides of the cockpit. All the keypress activated functionality offered by the sim are still present from the VC but if you want to access throttle, mixture, and prop controls, landing gear, cowl flaps, etc with your mouse, you are limited to using the 2D views only. The 2D views themselves are formulated into a series of hiarchical "popup windows" that require you to click on obscrure spots to access. There is even a 2D view looking out the bombardier's position that is great fun to use but it is accessible only from the 2D cockpit. As if this was not enough, if you desire to go back and forth between the VC and the 2D views at the same time, going from the VC to the 2D cockpit involves a serious delay to load the 2D window structure and that can take several seconds during which time you sit and stare at a blank screen.In spite of these limitations, this is a package well worth having.Stan V.

Clearly one of the best (if not the best) freeware aircraft I've seen and probably better then many payware ones as well. Graphics are unbelievable, detail fantastic and flight behavior great.Thanks Roy and team....... Howard