Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Is quality information about Penryn overclocking-related chip failure rates available?

Just wondering how they are holding up over time. I have a quad Penryn and wonder what sort of overclocks are generating premature failure or unreliability. I do understand Intel's position is to disclose the idea that risk essentially scales up whenever you are above the functional operational limit of their CPUs. And they suggest exceeding the maximum core voltage (1.45v w/ my QX9650) definitely amps up the risk of premature failure, unreliability, etc. So, do we have any estimates of realworld failure rates in penryns?Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

...............So, do we have any estimates of realworld failure rates in penryns? Noel
Smoke'em if you got'em....... :(

Regards, Kendall

So, do we have any estimates of realworld failure rates in penryns?Noel
I don't know if any source of data on Pen fail rates. Unless someone finds or knows of some raw data, my best advice would be to keep tabs on the various clocking forums around the net and that will give you maybe some general idea.It would be interesting to know, long-term, how the hi-gate transistors hold up to overclocks. This was a concern I remember, back from before the Penryns came out. Anyone hear anything new about that?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

E8400 @ 4.0GHz and 1.46-1.48V on air for 1 year and still going :)If you want a more elaborate sampling of o/c's check out extremesystems.org.

E8400 @ 4.0GHz and 1.46-1.48V on air for 1 year and still going :)If you want a more elaborate sampling of o/c's check out extremesystems.org.
Thanks for your testimony and comments folks. That is pretty good testimony. I am able to run at 4.1 at 1.406v on air (plus a/c cooling) and it all seems fine, but I'd hate to kill it too early. I usually run at default speeds just cuz I don't need the power for most everything.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Nick_N
Thanks for your testimony and comments folks. That is pretty good testimony. I am able to run at 4.1 at 1.406v on air (plus a/c cooling) and it all seems fine, but I'd hate to kill it too early. I usually run at default speeds just cuz I don't need the power for most everything.
1.4v is fine for a Pquad.. 1.42-1.45 is pushing it.. above that is on the clock

1.4v is fine for a Pquad.. 1.42-1.45 is pushing it.. above that is on the clock
Ahh, he's back. Hi Nick. I should be good to go then. I installed Vista 64, and audio pops r gone now with drivers other than 169.12--yes! I have a 280GTX to play with so will see how that goes now. I am dual booting to Vista 64 using the BBS popup in the ASUS BIOS, and have made the volume Vista lives on invisible to XP, so should have resolved the restore point issue or whatever it was. I am keeping Vista as lean as possible--only FSX and it's addons, that's it. No antivirus, no nuttin'!Nick, does your tweak guide for sys set up apply to Vista 64?

Noel