Sign in to follow this  
Guest delsutton2009

Decisions - real difficulties deciding

Guest delsutton2009

Hi All,I loaded on FSX on my PC a couple of years ago and realised that the busier zones were WAY too complicated for my poor PC to cope with. I've kind of avoided FSX since, but recently have been attracted back to the more deserted areas as all runs more smooothly there.My query relates to a dilemma. Do I abandon all the busy airports and stick to the rural airports in FSX? Or do I abandon FSX and get all the frills of FS9... I have at this point to say that I gave away my FS9 disc to my Dad, but he's not a keen simmer and I could easily get that back from him! and I saved all the FS9 add-ons I downloaded.What's the general advice... my rig is AMD 64 processor 3000+, 2 GHz, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9600?

With those specs I would suggest getting the FS9 disks back from your Dad. If he protests, just grab them and run. You should be faster than him... :(

Hi All,I loaded on FSX on my PC a couple of years ago and realised that the busier zones were WAY too complicated for my poor PC to cope with. I've kind of avoided FSX since, but recently have been attracted back to the more deserted areas as all runs more smooothly there.My query relates to a dilemma. Do I abandon all the busy airports and stick to the rural airports in FSX? Or do I abandon FSX and get all the frills of FS9... I have at this point to say that I gave away my FS9 disc to my Dad, but he's not a keen simmer and I could easily get that back from him! and I saved all the FS9 add-ons I downloaded.What's the general advice... my rig is AMD 64 processor 3000+, 2 GHz, 1Gb RAM, Radeon 9600?
I have both FS9 and FSX on my system. On my previous system P4-2.8, 1GB RAM etc, I rarely flew FSX because of performance problems,but since getting a Q6600-3.0, 2GB RAM etc, I rarely fly FS9 because the out the window scenery is not up tp the FSX experience.So, short answer: Install both.

Bert

Guest jshyluk

Here is one situation I admit I am having a hard time understanding. A dilemma is usally a choice where you have to pick one thing or another, and both choices have dire consequences, at least as I understand it. With both programs, there's really no "wrong answer". You cannot really do anything dire. If you want to fly 747s upside down under bridges, then away you go! There's nothing that says you have to fly from O'Hare to La Guardia in a 737 every single flight. Even if all you ever want to do is fly passenger jets, there are many large challenging international airports that don't suffer from frame rates. CYYC (Calgary, Canada) is one of my favourites in this regard. Yes, you can chose to do things that are unrealistic, but you can't easily do things that are wrong. Play with Flight Sim in the way that feels good. If you want great framerates in FSX, then by all means explore the Canadian Prairies in a Cessna, or fly along the Rockies, or the Appalachians, or the Alps in a Maule. Learn to fly the glider. Vacation to Hawaii. Play the Missions. There's way more to flight sim than shuttling virtual passengers in a Boeing or Airbus flying tube. If you have both FS9 and FSX, then by all means use them both! If you feel guilty about taking your dad's copy, eat soup for supper for a couple of nights and you will save up enough to buy a new copy of the sim for him. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

.............Play with Flight Sim in the way that feels good. If you want great framerates in FSX, then by all means explore the Canadian Prairies in a Cessna, or fly along the Rockies, or the Appalachians, or the Alps in a Maule. Learn to fly the glider. Vacation to Hawaii. Play the Missions. There's way more to flight sim than shuttling virtual passengers in a Boeing or Airbus flying tube. ..................Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
Excellent advice Jeff. I would agree- in FSX there is so much in good rural scenery (particularly the mountain stuff that you gave as an example), why would you want to fly around big cities, or to and from them at high altitude. The B58 Baron is an airplane that realistically likes to be below 10,000', and has some speed so that you actually get to see something different after an hour's simming. I have the Q6600 / 4MB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM so realize that performance may not be such an issue for me as the original poster.Bruce.

It's really your choice as to what makes "YOU" happy, not our decision. Personally, my PC is a couple of steps up from yours and I have a great FS experience with high settings, but I rarely fly in big cities and do mostly GA, helis.

Best, Michael

KDFW